Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

For Sale: New unstarted KF3 and/or KF4-1050 kit

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

***PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES - I WILL ADD LATEST INFO AS I MOVE THRU THE INVENTORY PROCESS***

I have a couple of unstarted Kitfox projects available for the east coast folks. I'll be biting the bullet and doing a complete nut 'n bolt inventory as soon as I can find the time, then posting it up for grabs. Not limiting to local pickup, l can deliver to OSH this year for pickup there if necessary. Yes, does includes original builder manuals plus Denney and Skystar purchase and delivery info for EZ registration.

Here's the quick gist:

(1) new Kitfox Model III Kit for sale. This Kit is in exceptional condition, all white powdercoated. This is a complete kit with many optional items, minus seat pan. I will throw in a used KF3 seat pan if someone wants this complete kit.

(1) new KItfox Model 4-1050 Upgrade Kit for sale. This Kit is also in exceptional condition, all white powdercoated. This is a complete factory supplied upgrade kit, everything required to turn your KF3 into the new, improved KF4 including new fuselage, control systems and wings.

NOTE: This is a similar concept to [old] Airdale Aircraft's 'Fat Avid' Upgrade Kit, ie. you were intended to reuse certain parts such as your existing landing gear, V.S., H.S., elevator and rudder. Using those new items and hardware from the above KF III Kit would result in a totally complete Full Kitfox Model 4-1050 Kit. If someone wants a full (rather than upgrade) KF 4-1050 Kit, I will throw in a new float brace that will increase fuselage strength and (unofficially) add to M.T.O.W.

Because many parts are interchangeable between the two models, I am listing the following new parts separately (white powder coated where applicable) as a suggestion to complete a turnkey KF3 or KF4-1050 Kit with Rotax 582LC firewall forward:

-new never used Rotax 582LC engine w/ new 3:1 'C' gearbox, oil injection and electric start

-new GSC 3-blade ground adjustable prop w/ new hub, plates and aluminum spinner

-new 4-piece round cowl set for KF3 w/ 582LC FWF

-new top rear cowl piece for KF4 w/ 582LC FWF (add ring and lower rear from the KF3 Kit for a full cowl set)

-(2) new 582 engine mounts, (1) ea. for KF3 and KF4

-new Rotax 582 grayhead FWF kit, includes exhaust, engine instruments w/ thermocouples

-used KF3 instrument panel, pre wired w/ and including 582 engine instruments w/ thermocouples AND flight instruments.

Basically, I got a ton of all new stuff that equals a complete KF3 kit with 582LC FWF, or a complete KF4-1050 kit with 582 LC firewall forward. Whichever complete kit sells first, the remaining kit will be a nearly complete kit minus the engine, landing gear, V.S., H.S., elevator and rudder.

[EDIT: Again, these two complete kits can be sold as is, or in some combination of different configurations. Ie. add the landing gear, control surfaces and 3 of the cowl pieces to the model 4. Now you have a complete KF4 kit, with or without the 582 FWF. If you want a specific configuration or have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm open to mix 'n match if it benefits both parties. Thanks]

Edited 19 hours ago by dholly

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Thanks Doug - interesting info - I have wings and parts to complete a KF3 1050 GW with good N-number and registeration - the fuselage is needing repair or replacement.  In case someone buys your fuselage and needs more parts to make a complete plane.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Doug, do you have any prices in mind for these currently? PM me if you don't want to post them up. I listed my Sonerai on Ebay today to try to move it and make room for another project. Not going to make any on the deal but hopefully can free up the room to build something else. 

Posted

@Kenneth- I started the inventory today, want to confirm everything is there before tossing around #'s. Of course, really trying to see if there is any interest too...

Posted

may be interested in the Instrument panel send a photo if you would like

Posted (edited)

UPDATE:

History of Kit #1

New Kitfox Model III, s/n 1017, purchased complete with all five individual component kits (1. Fuselage Kit, 2. Wing Kit, 3. Landing Gear Kit, 4. Engine Kit - 582LC, 5. Cover & Finish Kit).

Kit was ordered with the following options:

White powder coating, (2) additional antenna mounting plate weldments installed, 582LC Tach, soft baggage sack, f/g under seat AND behind the seat (which I have NEVER seen before!) cargo compartments, dual brake Kit, cabin heater kit, gascolator and mount kit, Rotax 'C' type 3:1 gearbox, GSC 3-blade 66" ground Adj prop, prop leading edge option, fuel primer kit, pre-sewn sound absorbing pkg, speed fairing kit, towbar, (2) NACA style scoop vents, Whelen strobe light system, Lexan full door windows, pre-sewn Lexan side quarter windows, (1) ea. 13-1/2gal Left/Right f,g wing tank kits, full instrument panel option, Rotax 582LC parts and repair manuals, 3/32 and 1/8 clecos.

[EDIT] Please see complete Parts List scans HERE

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

UPDATE:

History of Kit #2

New Kitfox Model 4-1050, s/n 1762, purchased factory direct from Denny Aerocraft with all necessary parts to upgrade a complete KF Model III kit to a  KF Model IV.

In addition to the new fuselage, the upgrade kit included white powder coat option, (3) antenna plate weldments installed, Rotax 582LC engine mount, extensive list of parts such as all new flaperon and elevator control system components,  new .090 Lexan windshield, wide body door retrofit kit, wing retrofit kit w/ GA30U612 rib and NACA 63A015 flaperon profiles, M4 wing tanks, top rear cowl, turtle-deck replacement kit, hardware, etc., etc., etc... Complete parts list available upon request.

[EDIT] Please see complete Parts List scans HERE

Edited by dholly

Posted

Now you can see why I say this little treasure trove could swing either way... A complete KF3 -or- KF 4 kit with 582LC FWF, each basically brand new with some neat options.

So the big question is how best to configure all this stuff to best serve the builder community without shooting myself in the foot in the process. Ie., I could bundle the new 582 along with most or some of the Engine Component Kit parts and either the model 3 or 4 engine mount and still have at least one complete kit minus the engine, and one fairly complete FWB kit... Probably makes most sense to pkg the M4 complete and offer the M3 fuse/wings/engine mount with control system parts and whatever hardware is not used in the M4 upgrade.

Decisions, decisions... Make my life easier, shoot me an offer on both plane kits. Or tell me what you want/need in the way of the larger component kits so I can try to decide where to go with this. I don't have the time or patience to part this out piece by piece, nor do I particularly care to hold something until you sell your Mother-In-Laws silver set to raise funds. I WILL hold your purchase and arrange to have everything available for buyer pickup at Airventure this year, providing it is paid for. Seems like a win/win, I don't want to pack and ship this stuff piecemeal, and it would potentially save a LOT of shipping cost. Same offer with possible delivery along the driving route between upstate NY and OSH.

If no one here is interested, I'll throw this on TKF, BS and fleaBay when I get the full inventory done. Just to clarify, I have all the pull sheets and everything is well organized and appears to be there. I'm 99% certain everything that shows originally inventoried or back ordered and received is in one of these boxes. I just know that 99% of folks are gonna want to know EXACTLY... every nut, bolt, cotter pin... sigh.

Posted

TJay - I may have posted a complete description and pics of that here in the wanted ads back when I was parting out my old M3. If you don't find it let me know and I will get one to you.

Posted

TJay - I may have posted a complete description and pics of that here in the wanted ads back when I was parting out my old M3. If you don't find it let me know and I will get one to you.

Ill take a look thanks. I was way more excited when I first read it, Thinking a complete panel but then later on I saw that it says 582 engine, that makes me think alot of stuff to sit on my shelves and not use ha,

Posted (edited)

I just kept it intact thinking some 2 stroke builder might need a time saver. Actually forgot I put it up on a high shelf until I just started trying to get organized. :rolleyes:

[EDIT] maybe what you really need is a new kit! :stirthepot:

Edited by dholly

Posted

I just kept it intact thinking some 2 stroke builder might need a time saver. Actually forgot I put it up on a high shelf until I just started trying to get organized. :rolleyes:

[EDIT] maybe what you really need is a new kit! :stirthepot:

Ha Nice try,

Posted (edited)

UPDATE:

I spent about 8 hours checking off parts against the original packing lists for each of the two kits Sunday. Making good headway and, so far, EVERY single nut, bolt and cotter pin is accounted for. These truly are unstarted and unmolested kits that need to get built. Unfortunately, I have too many irons in the fire and not enough storage space and spousal support.

I'm separating everything including hardware into big piles according to the original 5 main kit component categories, which will make it much easier for the next owner to inventory! When I wrap this up I will also try to scan and post the original packing lists, as well as any 'sub-kit' detail ie., description of the individual parts that make up, for example, the 'Optional Auxillary Wing Tank' sub-kit in the main Wing Kit or 'Optional Full Instrument Panel' sub-kit in the main Fuselage Kit or 'Dual Brake Option Kit' in the main Landing Gear Kit. I've had inquiries re: 582LC engine only and full FWF sales so I'll also scan and post the 9-pages of parts comprising the Kitfox main 'Rotax 582 Engine' Kit, including the 'Electric Starter', 'Electrical System', 'Oil Injection' sub-kit breakdowns plus the engine shipping box contents showing parts supplied directly by Rotax. This is great reference info, I've personally never seen this part by part break down before.

Edited by dholly

Posted

@ Ed -

Re: increasing gross on a KF4-1050 info can be found here > http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6110

Doug,  TKF someone posted a link to the KF4 1200 mod, but I cant pull up their link because I am not a member.  I think I have figured out what the mod is from the TKF posts anyway.  Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

@Ed- 

Heres the pic...

image.png

Posted

---UPDATE---

Well, slow but sure I am getting organized. Part of the problem is trying to decide which pile to put certain items in, as how the kits are sold will necessarily determine where some parts will have to end up. Again, I'm planning on scanning the entire Parts Lists soon but it was nice enough to take some photos of what I've brought back to the house so far. I still have a lot of parts in the hangar, ie. L/R 13.5 gal. wing tanks, wing spars, 'I-beam' spar reinforcement, rib reinforcing tubing, stringers etc. and all windshield/window/door/t-deck Lexan for the model 3. Also L/R 13.0 gal. wing tanks, wing spars, rib reinforcing tubing, stringers, leading edge extrusion etc. and all windshield/window/door/t-deck Lexan for the model 4, plus the fabric covering and PolyFiber products. It is mind boggling just how pristine these fuselages and kit parts are!

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

Posted

More pics:

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

Posted

Even more pics:

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

033.JPG

035.JPG

Posted

Last batch:

036.JPG

038.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG

043.JPG

044.JPG

045.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

Posted (edited)

An unstarted Model 4 kit recently sold on Barnstormers in 2 days for 11.5  and there's a flying 912 powered Model 3 listed for 37.5. I think thats way overkill considering Larrys was much nicer and sold for considerably less than that but hopefully that helps some on the market value. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

The one that really got me was the Bandit with Soob engine and convertible to tri-gear that just sold on ebay for $8600 ready for flying - and I didn't have room for it...  EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

@Joey -

Like anything, it's worth what someone is willing to pay, right? IIRC, that KF4 sold with an old no-name(?) 4 stroke that someone probably valued too richly. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with an old never used 582, at least you know it's a proven power plant on the airframe and the cost of refurb/rubber/reseal is not going to be a surprise (yes, I would say that even if I didn't have a horse in the race). I also saw a 912 powered KF3 on Aerocet amphibs up in Canada for something like 80k, might be looking for the right buyer for a while on that one!

I'll have to add up all the invoices I have on my kits, was somewhere in the mid 20's I think.

[EDIT:] I just added some clarifying info to the original post.

Edited by dholly

Posted

The unfinished Kitfox 4 classic 1200 project with no firewall forward I bought about 5 years ago cost the original owner about $14000 in 1994  dollars.  He lost a lot of those dollars when I bought it.  Now all I have to do is finish it one of these days.  It's now in fourth place on the list.  On the plus side, the Kitfox 1 is almost done.  Was fast taxing it yesterday after I lined up the toe in/out on the wheels.  If I had stayed on the throttle a second or so longer, it would have been flying.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I want to stop by to verify some fuselage measurements on the IV.