Wheel Alignment

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, Im new to your forum and this question has probably been on here before but I was wondering how much toe-in if any you should have. Im building a Skyraider 2, it is a lot like a Kitfox or Avid only in a tandem seating.Just measuring with a tape measure on a 8 inch tire it is toed in 1/4 inch which seems like a ton and their construction manual doesnt say a thing about it.Someone told me you put a big pipe the axle and physicaly bend it out is this true?I enjoy reading your forum, you sound like a fun bunch. Randy

Posted

There's a Skyraider and a Ridgerunner in my EAA Chapter. Pretty neat little planes in their own right.

From what I've read toe-in is generally considered bad. Toe out is better.

If you land on one main with toe in, it will want to try to flip the plane over or at least exaggerate the situation. With toe out it will try to straighten the plane out.

The pipe and bend method seems to be the way, as crude as it sounds...

Posted

I have zero toe on my Avid.. Tracks like a dream on pavement even with my big tires at 8 psi

Posted

I have zero toe on my Avid.. Tracks like a dream on pavement even with my big tires at 8 psi

I'm giving a friend dual instruction in an Avid B with 532 rotax....it is squirrely as heck on pavement...takeoffs are very exciting....it has some toe in....so...the pipe and bend method to get some toe out or at least neutral is how it's done? Inquiring minds.

Posted

Zero, like what Joey has is best, but if you must, toe out on a tail dragger is more stable than toe in.

Posted

Tried it...still a hairy demon.....jumped in a kitfox right after and she was as docile as a baby rabbit....do you think the turf tamer tires are grabbin too hard? We are confused....It's a major handful. I have over 1500 hrs Taildragger time and I don't feel safe flying it.

Posted

Do you all figure tie in and out when the tail is up or on the ground. I’m building a set of gear and made it to where the axles are straight when the plane is level but when the tail drops I have a bit of toe out. 

Posted

I did mine with tail up.

Posted

Do you all figure tie in and out when the tail is up or on the ground. I’m building a set of gear and made it to where the axles are straight when the plane is level but when the tail drops I have a bit of toe out. 

Tail up level would be optimum, IMO.

Posted

Just a reminder, if you’re learning to fly any of the Rotax 2strokes or anything with a left turning prop consider the P factor on take-off, left rudder instead of right. Forgetting results in pilot-induced-ossification (squirrily),  Been there-done that!