Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi cropduster the 4 cylinder is in the RX1 snowmobile 2003 -2005 ,I do have a extra one if you have troubles finding one closer to you,im up here in  B.C.Canada so shipping might be quite a bit. I am looking for a c drive if anyone has one lying around

Posted

Muchas Gracias,

Posted

Steve Henry received his AW cert on his RX1 powered Highlander yesterday. They are waiting on a different prop to test fly. 

2 people like this

Posted

Any bets?

10% better STOL performance over the 115hp Rotax 912 he had in it?

Posted

If I recall this Highlander has quite a few LBS over his other Highlander, and this one has different wing tidbits?

Posted

Still waiting to see how this engine sounds with the carbs tunes property and to see how it looks cowled with 9 inches of prop center to top of engine offset. Steve very well could change the game for a lot of Experimental people if this Yamaha works well. Good luck Steve.

Posted

Steve certainly has the exposure to do that!

Posted

Steve Henry received his AW cert on his RX1 powered Highlander yesterday. They are waiting on a different prop to test fly. 

Thats awesome ,I'm pretty anxious to here how it works since I'm pretty much full steam ahead with trying one ,just got the c drive and shipping it to Teal. Got to figure out the motor mount which will be the next hurdle.The engine some pretty sweet.

1 person likes this

Posted

There's about 15 of them on Craigslist in my neighborhood right now.  (I had to look)  Great motor, terrible heavy pig of a sled...

Looked here as well.  5 on Craigslist.  Shouldn't be too hard to find.  Especially after this terrible winter (snow wise).

Posted

Oh and as far as flying a trike with the 912uls and the RX1, You can feel the acceleration and take off performance increase but trike's can not use that much power unless you have a really fast wing. So you end up not holding the throttle very long because you end up heading straight up in the air. Its a lot of fun but I look forward to seeing how fast it will launch a kitfox off the ground.

Teal, wont this be way over powered for a Kitfox IV?  Seems like 80 HP provides very spirited performance.  Maybe a Model 5-7 would make better use of all that power (with regard to feeling out the engine).

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I assume the cold weather (cold start) capabilities are retained for this use.  Sure beats all the warming rituals for standard 4 strokes.  I was amazed at how well my Vector fired up in Northern Ontario during bitter cold mornings. Fuel mileage was very impressive as well.

Posted

Steve Henry made his first flight with his RX-1 powered Highlander. First impressions are really good. He reports a stronger feeling of acceleration on take off. No testing yet as far as takeoff distances and climb rates. He has only made one flight so far but as numbers goes here is the numbers in comparing static runs between his 912s with 88mm pistons (aprx. 115 HP). The 912 used a 80 inch diam.  X 42 inch pitch propeller, he was able to turn it 2180 RPM on the prop staic. The RX-1 engine is turning a 80 inch diam. X 46 Inch !!!! and it is turning 2180 RPM static. He believes his 912s with larger bores was closer to 120 HP and the RX-1 is definitely doing more work. More to come on climb rates and take off distances. As far as HP for the Kitfox it's definitely more than it needs but I don't think it will necessarily be over powered. That's kind of like a girl to pretty.....

2 people like this

Posted

Thank you for the update Teal.  That's great news. Looking forward on hearing more and seeing a possibility video. I could not run a 80 inch prop on my application. 70 inches is common. That options would I have in the 70 inch realm? 

THanks

Vance

Posted

Im sorry I don't understand your questions, what options as far as propellers or what gearbox ratio options?

Posted

Propeller, I can only run a 70 inch prop on my application.

Posted

There are a lot of propeller options out there in the 70 inch range.

Posted

Perfect!! Any chance a picture is coming on how Steve cowled the 9 inch offset. Thank you Teal for answering our questions. Much appreciated.

Vance

Posted (edited)

Perfect!! Any chance a picture is coming on how Steve cowled the 9 inch offset. Thank you Teal for answering our questions. Much appreciated.

Vance

I think Teal may have been trying to tell you that if you have to run a smaller diameter prop, then adding more blades will compensate for hp.  Some of the airboats that have to use smaller props on the big engines use as many as 6 or 8 blades while others use a controllable prop.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

No, I was just saying there are a lot of options for 70 inch props out that will work on the RX-1. I would suggest if using a 2 blade run the 2.62:1 ratio and a 3 blade use the 3:1 ratio. Steve Henry is using the 3.47:1 with his 80 inch prop. But remembee for those out there calculating tip speeds and effiecencies. The RX-1 has a 1.19:1 built into it. So for example the 3.47:1 is really 4.13:1 from prop to engine.

Posted (edited)

No, I was just saying there are a lot of options for 70 inch props out that will work on the RX-1. I would suggest if using a 2 blade run the 2.62:1 ratio and a 3 blade use the 3:1 ratio. Steve Henry is using the 3.47:1 with his 80 inch prop. But remembee for those out there calculating tip speeds and effiecencies. The RX-1 has a 1.19:1 built into it. So for example the 3.47:1 is really 4.13:1 from prop to engine.

That's what I meant by adding more blades for a shorter prop - There is no way a 70" 2-blade can match the performance of an 80" 2-blade prop, no matter what ratio you can use, it just cant grab as much air without more blades.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

This sounds like a great engine upgrade. I would probably consider it except that snow machines are non-existent in my part of the world so coming up with the donor for the engine would be tough and probably expensive. I am not sure if it would fit well in an Avid either since it would be replacing an inverted 582.

Dan

Posted

So is there a video of this engine in an airplane.  Any test results?

Thanks

Posted

If you are on Facebook search Wild West Aircraft for lots of pics and a video of it idling on Steve Henry's Highlander. I talked to him this weekend and he is aware how many people are awaiting a full report. He's still working out some kinks and gathering data before he goes public. 

Posted

If you are on Facebook search Wild West Aircraft for lots of pics and a video of it idling on Steve Henry's Highlander. I talked to him this weekend and he is aware how many people are awaiting a full report. He's still working out some kinks and gathering data before he goes public. 

So tell us Mr. since it sounds like you are getting to see all the progress of this engine being installed are you gonna stay a die hard 2 stroker or you thinking one would look nice in your avid? Just being nosy here.

Posted

I have too much going on to even attempt s project like that if I want to do any flying. Hell I flew with a piece of cardboard covering the side of my cowl for 4 months. One of the biggest issues Steve is having is it being unbearably loud in the cockpit. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I would love to have that engine in a lite kitfox or avid with bush gear and 80in prop!!