Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru Mount

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I told the 2200 seller I will take it, So if everything goes smoothly I will be mounting a Jabiru 2200 to my Kitfox model 1, Does anyone know who makes engine mounts for the early Kitfox? Or am I building one?

Posted

I think the drawings for the mount are in the files section.  I got my mount from Avid originally, but it wouldn't fit a kitfox.   Other wise, I could take a couple of pieces of plywood, sandwitch my mount, screw on some spacer boards between the plywood, and then drill though the bolt holes on the mount.  Then a  guy could bolt bushings to the plywood, and fill in the tubing between them.  It would be a big help to make a mount that way.  Jim  Chuk

Posted

I think Kitfox still does a mount for that.  Call them up. 

Posted

Thanks Ill give Debra a shout. I wasn't sure if they would or not. Last time I talked to John He said they are trying to get away from supporting the early Models.

Posted

For anybody that wants to know for there future projects, Kitfox does not have an engine mount for the model 1, 2, or 3

Posted (edited)

I don't feel I have the needed welding skills to build one,  I could do everything else, and maybe my gas welding would be good enough, but I don't trust it.  I know you TIG weld, so I would say, build your own.  I just looked at the drawings I have, I'm not sure they are completely correct.  As I remember, the bottom firewall motor mount attachment is 1/4" further in or out then the rest on a Kitfox.  I didn't see that on the drawing I have.  Maybe I missed it though.  Main thing would be distance out from the firewall and how high the engine should be, I think.  I don't believe the engine is cocked to one side or up or down either.   I'll be home in about a month, I can measure my factory built Avid one if you need any dimentions from it then.  Jim Chuk

PS  right after I posted this, I remembered that Jabiru listed a Kitfox mount at one time.  I think they wanted over $1000 for it though.  I paid $450 for mine from Avid about 8 years ago

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

For anybody that wants to know for there future projects, Kitfox does not have an engine mount for the model 1, 2, or 3

I've got 2 Kitfox mounts for the 532/582.

EDMO

Posted

Yeah I can easily build one,I was just hoping to buy one because  I  tend to over build everything, Thanks Guys

Posted (edited)

TJay

I flew with a 80HP Jabiru in my Model 2 for several years but wished I had the added performance of the newer 85HP model.

It came with the engine mount and bolted right up to my fuselage.

The previous owner had it on a Kitfox on floats with the round cowl and could not get the cylinder head temps cool enough as apparently was an issue for others.

The advice from Jabiru West in California ( no longer in business) was to go with the Kitfox specific engine cylinder air ducts and the smooth Cessna style cowl which had to be ordered from Australia.

I had no cooling issues with the installation.

I would call the Jabiru importer on the East coast and inquire if engine mounts for Kitfox's are still available before making my own.

I enjoyed the engine at or near sea level,  but it just did not have the climb and high altitude  performance that the Rotax 532 had that it replaced because of the short prop.

I wish I had tried the HACman altitude leaning device to see if it would perform better over 8000 feet.

No gear box chatter, smooth as silk idle and no radiator; whats not to like? 

My Jabiru did not like to start when cold when the temps got in the 40's.  

I ended up with a heavy Odyssey 680 and huge #4 battery cables.

They say the Jabiru installation is no heavier than a 582 with a C box which may be true, but not in my case with a 532.

I was replacing a 532 which has an A gear box and single ignition and the weight gain was 15 pounds just where a Model 1-2 Kitfox does not like added weight.

That 15 pounds moved the CG forward but still well within the range.

It was nose heavy so I just trimmed it buy reflexing the flaperons to get hands off cruise.

THAT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE THAT TOOK ME A YEAR AND A FORUM MEMBER TO FIGURE OUT AND MADE THE KITFOX HANDLE LIKE JUNK AND DANGEROUS TO FLY.

EVERYONE PROBABLY KNEW THIS BUT ME; NEVER MAKE MAJOR TRIM CHANGES ON A KITFOX WITH THE FLAPPERONS, MOVE THE BATTERY OR ADD WEIGHT AS NEEDED.

I gladly share several other installation issues you will have,  so please call.

Herman Pahls

Oregon

541 404 6464

Edited by herman pahls
1 person likes this

Posted

Herman,  what was the serial # of your Jabiru?  If my memory is correct, you had an early model that was lower on power and didn't have the better cooling heads of later motors.  I might be wrong on that though...  I for the most part had good experiences with my Jabiru.  Hope to be flying it again next summer.   I would take it before  a 582 any time.  912 Rotax is a different story altogether though.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I am changing from the Gen 2 2200 to the Gen 4. 

My motor mount was from Skyfox.

Trouble is the mount on my Avid Flyer MK4 is 260 mm from top to bottom mounts. The newer ones are 275 mm. So it looks like I'll have to have a motor mount also.

MLy Gen 2 has had an exhaust valve head come out and destroyed the cylinder and rod with all kinds of debris in the engine. Ben was still at Jabiru with Pete and he rebuilt the engine. This was at 1195 hours of trouble-free flight. My friend had the same thing ha[pen at just over 1100 hours.

I'm hoping the new design...roller cam lifters and better oil feed to the rockers should help.

Jabiru sales says it takes about 3 weeks to get an engine from the Aussies and then another week in shipping from Tennessee to California.

My air dams fit just under the cowl and the plug wires are on the outside as I like them. Can't understand why they have the wires inside the air dams to disturb the airflow.

I am going to compare a total overhaul cost to the new engine and will make my decision then.

They used to claim 85 HP on my 2200 now since they are certified and have to prove the exaggerations they are claiming 80 HP.

I am changing the engine because I had a hyd lifter stick on me and it caused the cam lobe to wear badly. Interestingly enough I flew the pattern a couple of times with no issues before I pulled the #1 head to replace the exhaust valve guides which I have had to do a couple of times.

So $14,900 US plus whatever the motor mount costs. OUCH!! Still, my friends with the Rotax 912s have their own engine issues that I don't want to deal with.

Stay tuned...

John M

Posted

Guess I am not the only one with mount issues. But then that's why groups like this are vital to the older Avid/Fox flyers. Even 40 yrs of being an A&P, the homebuilt world is not the same as the GA world. I always try to follow GA spec's when dealing with A/B aircraft WHEN possible. The last 20 yrs are 80% homebuilt aircraft that I deal with. Spamcans are no longer in my clubhouse. Old T-crafts, champs and Cubs are basically the same construction and techniques. Lately not much different in parts prices, though.

1 person likes this

Posted

I am looking at the engine mount list from Jabiru.

The mount for the Kitfox 1-2-3-4 C002124 (lower cowl inlet), C002113 (RHS), C002103 (LHS).

Got is from jabirupacific.com/fwf.htm

Of course, Jabiru Pacific is no more. Jabiru Jim dissolved the business years ago, but his info is still available.

John M

Posted

I am looking at the engine mount list from Jabiru.

The mount for the Kitfox 1-2-3-4 C002124 (lower cowl inlet), C002113 (RHS), C002103 (LHS).

Got is from jabirupacific.com/fwf.htm

Of course, Jabiru Pacific is no more. Jabiru Jim dissolved the business years ago, but his info is still available.

John M

Im sure Arion Aircraft LLC can still get them for you.  I was very pleased with mine.  And I like how they sent a print out of the mount for you to inspect before they build it. With yours you only need to go up just over a half inch Can you just grab it and bend it up I don't think the top and bottom are connected with tubing I believe the engine itself completes the Truss Design. Just a thought.

Posted

Can't bend it up 15mm and put all that preload stress on it.

I have ordered the new mount.

There are two possible reasons that they raised the top mounts.

A) They don't need to stock two different mounts for the 3300 and 2200. 

B) The new cylinders are larger and crowd the top mounts.

John M

Posted

I didn't think there was a difference on the earlier mounts for the 2200 and 3300 engines.  Maybe I'm wrong though.... been before a time or two (million):rolleyes:   JImChuk

Posted

Lucky you. You are looking for a mount and I am selling one.

I am selling my Avid model b, c, and MK4 mount since I am getting a new Jab 2200 and the top two mounts on the new Gen 4 have been moved up 15 mm.

I believe this mount fits early Kitfoxes. I can provide dimensions if you are interested.

$195.00 plus shipping from Southern California will take it.

John M