Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buying used

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I got my start on 2-Stroke Powered Parachutes. I sold mine a few years back and recently picked up another one on the cheap that needed some TLC from sitting around. I knew it had wiring issues but once I started opening up looms and access areas it quickly grew into a monster. 

I often read threads on various forums about things to look for when buying. Look under the enclosed places and look for things like this. Household wire caps, a tiny wire spliced into 6 times, burned up wires, 9000 zip ties, the list goes on. It looked okay from the outside and everything seemed to work but I never flew it. I got a steal on this unit so I don't mind working on it but this thing was a fire waiting to start. Had a fresh conditional on the sale and wouldn't even run. The pic with my hand showing is the output wire off the regulator. Charging circuit was burned up. Unless I am missing something big, everything was powered off the battery. The pics barely scratch the surface. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

I got my start on 2-Stroke Powered Parachutes. I sold mine a few years back and recently picked up another one on the cheap that needed some TLC from sitting around. I knew it had wiring issues but once I started opening up looms and access areas it quickly grew into a monster. 

I often read threads on various forums about things to look for when buying. Look under the enclosed places and look for things like this. Household wire caps, a tiny wire spliced into 6 times, burned up wires, 9000 zip ties, the list goes on. It looked okay from the outside and everything seemed to work but I never flew it. I got a steal on this unit so I don't mind working on it but this thing was a fire waiting to start. Had a fresh conditional on the sale and wouldn't even run. The pic with my hand showing is the output wire off the regulator. Charging circuit was burned up. Unless I am missing something big, everything was powered off the battery. The pics barely scratch the surface. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Oh, boy.   You do look like you have a project on your hands...

Gut it completely and start over.  Then you know what you have.

Posted

That's one great collection of ugly, all in one small aircraft. You've got enough material there to do a "How not to" seminar on wiring methods. I second Larry's opinion on starting over. Duct tape, wire nuts, incorrect wire insulation, lack of circuit protection devices, Dime store crimp splices, no wire lables. The only thing I don't see is wiring bundled with fuel lines. 

Have fun with the do-over. Make sure to do a schematic first and the next owner will thank you.

-- Sed

Posted

Thanks for confirming my belief in needing to go completely through my electrical system. I am, iirc, the 5th or 6th owner. Every time I just glance at the visible wires the thought returns.

Posted

Thanks for the replies. I somehow posted this twice so I merged the two threads. I got ahold of the factory and complete harnesses are available for less than $100. Planning to go that route. Be a good lesson on wiring an EIS also. I plan on going that route along with basic Dynon on my next panel. I was getting overwhelmed yesterday so I hopped on my hangar bike and ran over to our local LSA hangar where there is a high end buccaneer project going together. His wiring is about as far on the opposite side of the spectrum as you can get from this thing. Beautiful project with an all glass cockpit and 914. 

Posted

I love to see pictures of that Buc. I have a buccaneer XA  with a hopped up 503 (dual Mikuni flat slides, six blade clutch driven IVOProp) that I haven't started to fly yet

image.jpg