Belly tank

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for a belly tank or extra fule tank , 

Posted

This is what a friend did on his Avid A model.  5 gallon tank, pumped to tank behind the instrument panel with an electric fuel pump.  He does have to unhook the one flaperon control rod to fold his wings.   Jim Chuk

IMG_1152 (Large).JPG

IMG_1153 (Large).JPG

Posted

I found some belly tanks on ebay for Dusty, but I don't think he bought them.

EDMO

Posted

my buddy with a challenger does the same remote tank with electric pump,only he has to strap it in his back seat (hes solo most of the time)

Posted

Thanx for the Idea !

do you have a link to ebay belly tanks ?

Posted

Thanx for the Idea !

do you have a link to ebay belly tanks ?

That ebay ad was a month or three ago - I guess it is gone now - you just have to keep looking and maybe one will be listed.

EDMO

Posted

Just search for belly tank ? , 

sorry but my english is bad :)

Posted (edited)

Just search for belly tank ? , 

sorry but my english is bad :)

Yes, Thomas,  Aircraft belly tanks, or Experimental Aircraft belly tanks.   Look for Experimental Parts in Barnstormers site too.  I don't think that any belly tanks were ever made for Avids or Kitfox, so you have to find something that will work or it may be cheaper to have it made where you live.

EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yes i know , the shipping is expensive ! 

The problem is to put somting ho is not orginal on the aircraft , but i Can take it away befor yerly inspection!

on aircraftspruce they have tanks for the wing struts , but they ar qvite small ,

wher on the fulehose do you conect ther T ? betwen the wing tank and the catch tank ? And put a switch off valve der , so it dont fall back to the extra tank after you switch off the pump ?

Posted

Thomas,

I have no answer on that - I have not thought about using a belly tank.   Maybe Dusty or someone can answer that for you.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been carrying extra fuel in my cargo pod,on the cg is best but I have safety concerns about fuel carried underneath in the event of a bad day.EDMO found some good looking fuel bladders that might work(bladders are simple as far as venting is concerned)the price was ok but freight was a shocker.

I found a local supplier who make bladder tanks for rescue boats,Thera is a 15litre tank that looks like it will fit in a wing locker it should be ready in a short while.I will post how it works out

2 people like this

Posted

A few years back I saw some 5+ gallon tanks that mounted near the jury struts and were aerodynamically shaped...looked like a cool idea, but it wasn't on an Avid, it was something like a Challenger.

I like the fuel bladder idea in the cargo bay. I'd like to see how that works out.

Ron

Posted

This is real cool looking for a warbird - However, with all the panic around about terrorists, I would opt for the plain looking one with nice paint.

EDMO

Posted

I hope this fits. My measurements say it will fit perfect nz$500. About the same price as an  aluminium slip in tank, but can be fitted  in my locker without surgery and venting issues. This manufacturer was reluctant to supply for my "off  road vehicle" so one of my boat builder customers has ordered one for me. I will  update when i have more information

15 litre black fuel tank Low res.jpg

15ltr competition tank-Layout1.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

pretty cool,how many gallons is it?

Posted (edited)

Thomas,

Another idea:  I just saw a TIP TANK on ebay for $110, but tried to copy it and lost it - Most of them are asking a lot more than that.

If you can find a used one locally, take a look at it and see if you could make a belly tank out of it. 

I think the tip tanks for the Magnum are a stupid idea for our kind of planes - It would be better to put the extra tanks next to the main wing tanks, under the belly, or in the cargo area - The inertia of tip tanks is bad and could be deadly for recovery in a spin or spiral.

Regards,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

This bladder tank is 15 litres(6gal?) it is the smallest available the next size is 25 litres

EDMO is spot on regarding tip tanks, a few years ago I got to fly a cavalier with tip tanks,the inertia made hard work keeping balanced in turbulence,something our planes aren't great at,they don't need any encouragement to tail wag.

Posted

This bladder tank is 15 litres(6gal?) it is the smallest available the next size is 25 litres

EDMO is spot on regarding tip tanks, a few years ago I got to fly a cavalier with tip tanks,the inertia made hard work keeping balanced in turbulence,something our planes aren't great at,they don't need any encouragement to tail wag.

The inertia from tip tanks can be deadly in a spin...

EDMO

Posted

I have a belly tank that I removed from my Avid Flyer Model B. it mounted to three tabs welded to the under structure of the cabin area.  I custom built and installed 13 gallon ethanol resistant fiberglass fuel tanks at the root of each wing. I also have the plastic dash tank that I removed. Both are available for sale.

if anyone is interested I'll post pics 

Posted

Hi , post some Photos , and price and shipping to Sweden 

Posted

Brad Bundy Here.

i posted that i had a belly tank and you responded but for some reason the link through my email won't allow me to reply thru 

my email address.

brad@aerodad.com is my email. please try to communicate thru my email directly i don't go to the forum as often as I should.  

I'll get some pictures and dimensions if we can make contact

Thanks

Brad