Model C ?

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi 

is this model c or ?

its from 1992 i think

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

B models had the side radiator and mechanical drum brakes which I am sure those wheels are using. Does it have wing tanks and do you know the serial number? Mine is number 279 but was bought originally as a B model kit so I don't know how accurate the serial number listing is.

Here is a real brief history of the Avid Flyer

The Company Light Aero Inc was the original name of Avid Aircraft Inc when it was owned and run by Dean Wilson. When Dean sold Light Aero to Charlie DeRego, Jerry Matison (owner and founder of Airdale LLC) and Jim Tomash (least said) the name changed to Avid Aircraft Inc. It was around late 1989 and shortly after they moved onto Caldwell airport.

A models had Behind Panel Gas Tank, Wheel Barrow type wheels, Cable Brakes, Welded Engine Mount. Wood side and belly stringers

B models had Behind Panel gas tank, Alloy Wheels with cable brakes, Bolt on Engine Mount with Radiator stuck on the outside of fuselage just in front of Passenger door Upto about ser # 250. had a bulge glassed to cowling as air scoop for rad.

C models had wing tanks--some alu some Fiberglass, Matco Hydraulic disc brakes and wheels, Matco Tailwheel with 11/4" tailspring, Bolt on Engine Mount, Radiator inside the cowling at an angle on firewall passenger side. ser #'s 250C-900C Wood belly stringer.

MkIV had Redesigned Vagabond Style Cowling, Front mounted radiators, fiberglass wing tanks, Matco Hydraulic disk brakes and wheels, Maule Tailwheel with 11/2" tailspring, Offset taken out of fin, Offset
front mounting taken out of Stabiliser! Steel Tubing Dorsal, Belly, and side stringers. External Baggage Locker. Ser #'s 900D to around 1550D.

Bandit was a Stripped down MkIV. Ser#'s range as per MkIV BUT suffix"E" There was no difference in Firewall engine Mounting pattern from B models onwards as ALL the frames came from the same jig. Only the firewall back part of the jig changed from B onwards. Avid sold upgrades from one model to the next, eg Rotax 532 engine Mount/upgrade for A model--as the A model engine mount had to be cut from the A model frame and the Builder welded up the firewall parts some differenes could occur here.

When Subaru installed on ANY Avid, due to extra weight and power extra mount bushings and plates were offered to Avid builder to ADD 4 more engine mount attach points along bottom of firewall. On A,B,C, Models for Subaru extra pieces of tubing had to be welded to the front bottom of firewall to attach these extra bushings /plates.

BUT REMEMBER AND BEWARE----it appeared to the builder that the upgrading of models by adding extra bits of tubing was relatively easy so it was done-- B,C, models are regularly advertised as MKIV's when they are actually "upgraded" earlier versions---there's a lot more to a MkIV than an A/ B/C model and hence increase in Gross
weight with MKIV.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Hi 

serialnumber is 466 

Glasfiber wing tank on passenger side 

cable brakes 

mtow is 415 KG

Posted

It came from Italy in 2005 to Sweden 

the Swedish  owner past away , and all dokument wher lost ! 

Thanks to old protocol and paper copys at KSAK ( like EAA ) the paper work is fixed 

so now just check and rebuild the Rotax 582 (TTSN 57 hr ) it was storage in the hangar for the last 5 yers un tuched

it Was some cox between the piston rings , just waiting for the seals now

Posted

That must have been quite a flight for an Avid to fly from Italy to Sweden?  Is there a way around the Alps?

EDMO

Posted

It Was trasported by the road , 

but some one fly to the north or south pole whith a Avid or kittfox !!

Posted (edited)

It Was trasported by the road , 

but some one fly to the north or south pole whith a Avid or kittfox !!

The guy who flew to the North Pole didn't have to cross high mountains - I can see why yours went by road instead of over the Alps.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

So you think its a B model ?

butt the serialnumber is 466,

in all dokuments i have is just say ( Avid flyer ) not a , b or C 

and KSAK want to know the right modell ,

so i need help to sort it aout ?

othrvise a Cant get prmit to fly ....

Posted

If it's not anywhere else on paper then why can't it be whatever model you want? Call it a B.

Posted

If it's not anywhere else on paper then why can't it be whatever model you want? Call it a B.

yes but its mayby upgrade to C 

1 wingtank

2 no tank bende the panel 

Posted

Maby just say its a C model vill generat mor qvstions from KSAK and EAA 

they will besure witch model it is

Posted

So pleas help me ! I take mor Photos if its neded

Posted

I have parts and pieces of an Avid C model.  It's serial # is 431.  If your serial # is 466, I would say yours is a C model.  MK IVs didn't start till about # 1000.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

But the intake for the radiator on the passenger Side look like on the B model

and its no tank under the panel 

i allso want a extra belly tank , wher Can i find that ?

Edited by Thomasb83

Posted

Sometimes these planes are bits and pieces of others as well as what they started out to be originally.  I would go with the serial # you have and go from there.  Is there a reason you don't want it to be a C model?  Jim Chuk

Posted

No reson , but right shuld be right .. 

But am Can go for C model , and sed

this information to him , and hope he will accept is a C model 

Posted

When I applied for insurance for my KF2 there was a box for "model" on the application. I simply entered it as "II". There was never any need to show proof of that.

Is this aircraft registered with the FAA? If it is, I would go with whatever the registration shows.

Lou

Posted

He isn't in the U.S.  For all our complaining about the FAA, they are the easiest aviation regulatory body to deal with in the world.  He has to dot every i perfectly, and cross every T with the cross correct to the nearest 1/1000 of a millimeter.

Mark

Posted

In Sweden the system can be a pain in the xxx ! 

And a motorglider ex SF 25 B 

Can be grounded for a fuel hose , 

if it not orginal from engine manufactor , and the Stamo engine is not longer manufactor , 

Posted

Boy is my face red!

For some reason I was thinking it had been imported to the US.

I'll go back to sleep now :huh:

Posted

Thomas, 

it is most likely a model C. The unofficial home of Avid Flyer says 250-900 are model C. I don't know how reliable this is at front and back end is but with 466 in the center of the range I think you can consider it a Model C.

I have #479 and it is considered a "C"

Lycka till

Fred

avid.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanx !

Fred your Avid have rounded tail rudder , whats the diffrent ?

is it updated or whats (orginal )?

Posted

Rounded rudder and cowling are post build updates.

I think I have read that the rudder surface is about the same and that there is more difference in looks than in handling - but I'm sure someone will comment if I'm wrong... 

As mentioned somewhere there are very few "pure" A or C models. Many MK IV are upgraded earlier models... but they are all Avid Flyers !

Posted

Fred,

I noticed that your plane had what looks like the "Swiss Muffler" on it - Does that affect the performance of the 2-strokes?  Are these made commercially, or do you have to make your own?  Is it aluminum or stainless or other outside shell?  What is on the inside?  Some day, the noise restrictions will get tougher here and maybe everyone will have to use them.

EDMO

Posted

Edmo,

no, those are not Swiss mufflers. One of the "secret" of the high power of the Simonini Victor 2  engine is that it has tuned exhaust pipe, one for each cylinder. They are rather bulky as you can see but with 92 HP from a 2 stroke engine consuming 30% less that a 65 HP ROTAX it is something that is easy to live with... 

Read more about the Simonini Victor 2 on my blog...

3 people like this