Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gday from the new boy and seeking advice!

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Gday guys! My name is Tim from Australia. Im a muster pilot and bush flyer down here and currently fly a drifter. as a result c5engineer and I have alays got along both living the 2 stroke dream and all! Though I must say he has alot to answer for as His got me wanting to upgrade to a Kitfox/avid.

The aircraft are very rare over here and far more expensive so I'm greatly limited at to my options as to whats available. With the aussie dollar being so poor Importing may be tricky to but I am defiantly looking into it. Trying on sure first.

Early days of research for now but I have come across one for sale here thats a model 4 but with a 582 engine. Now If i remember correctly the model 4 is a substantially heavier plane. I'm not at all put off by the 2 stroke engine BUT is the 582 really to small for this to be an effective bush plane? your thoughts on the aircraft guys.

IMG_2915_edited.jpg

Posted

this is the aircraft here. I know its hardly a bush plane at the moment, but I plan on giving it a bit of love IF i go that direction (which I likely wont as the owner is asking WAY to much for it...$31 000!)

013.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

Posted

Hi Tim, Welcome to the forum.

A Model IV can be an acceptable performer if it's kept light.  Find out what it's current empty weight is and post it up.  Also, see if the owner will take you up.  You'll get a pretty good idea once you see the climb performance with two aboard.

That plane looks pretty nice in the pics.  I note the rudder pedals aren't reinforced in accordance with the service bulletin that was issued some years ago.  What brand of prop and size is that?  It isn't one that's familiar to me.

The price does seem high to us in the states, but you have to be the judge of it's value in your market.  Post up some more details if you want more feedback.

Posted

One of the guys on this group has a Kitfox 4 that has a 503 on it and he flys it a lot.  I've had a couple of Avid flyers with 582 engines and they performed fine.  The planes empty weight were around 585 lbs.  Avids also have a shorter wingspan than the Kitfoxes.  I would find out what the empty weight is on this Kitfox to get some idea on it's performance.  Flying in it of course will tell you a lot.  Is it an earlier model 4 which had a gross weight of 1050 lbs, or the 1200 lb later model?  Also, welcome aboard on joining our group.  I've seen some of your posts on Back country pilot, good to have you here as well.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Welcome Tim. 

A Model IV Kitfox can and will perform very nicely on a 582.  To parrot the others, it is critical that it doesn't get too heavy.  Weight is everything. 

Looking closer at the photos, this one seems to have the "Speedster" treatment.  Things like the radiator scoop, wheel pants, and what looks like the clipped wing.  The shorter wing is definitely NOT a deal killer to keep it STOL focused.  (I have a friend with a clipped IV, and the performance difference is negligible to my long wing.)  The flapperons also look to have a single counterweight on each, near the tip.  This is a tell, along with the brake peddle/rudder bar design that it is probably an earlier IV, with the 1050 pound gross weight, like my yellow plane.  Many of the "later early" ones were modded from Sky Star to up the gross to 1200 (on floats) with some structural beefing.  Mine also has this. 

Pricing is going to be all you.  I don't know how to convert for market and exchange on something like this.  In my area this plane would be in market at $18-23,000. 

It does look, from the photos, to be a nicely kept, good looking plane. 

Posted

Hi tim 

Our exchange rate /dollar value is not too far different here (nz),a similar aircraft here is nz$30-35000.

Looks like a nice plane,but weight is a major factor,as someone else said go for a ride and see if the climb is acceptable.

A 1200pound model is more desirable and will have a better resale value,

The 582 is an awesome and totally reliable power plant 

Love the drifter!

I have a XP 503 and is still by far my favourite aircraft to fly, but our cooler climate limets flying

Posted (edited)

I think a 582 will fly the plane just fine.  I flew out this morning 85 degrees F and 90% humidity and flew to 6000' AGL in about 15 min, 5800-6000 rpm.  The air was MUCH nicer up there too!

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

Hi Tim, at present AUD/USD exchange rate you are looking at $21,700 USD.

I, too, have had the privilege of enjoying C5's hospitality and generosity while in California.

Do you muster in a chopper? All the best if you buy this Kitfox.

Ian

Posted

Welcome to the Forum Tim!