Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vans Lawsuit

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

AvWeb Link

Any opinions out there. This a very scary and frightening president to start.  Depending on the outcome of this, it could be the deathnell of the experimental aircraft revolution.   

I was just at Rotax training this weekend and part of the training was in regard to legal matters and covering your ass for this inevitable bullshit. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Its the same thing thats going on and has been with the gun manufacturers.We no longer can hold anyone accountable for their actions.The lawyers along with the Government have to step in and tell us we didnt do anything wrong that its the fault of the manufacturer.It will only get worse if Hillary gets in.Kit prices will triple for all the liability insurance they will have to carry.Just another piece of our freedom chiseled away from us

Posted

The Van's case is a classic example of an overzealous attorney looking for deep pockets. Reasonable torte reform is probably the only solution - and with 40% of Congress being lawyers, it's doubtful we'll see any changes.

Posted

I realize my earlier comment may seem cold and uncaring based on the pain the accident victims suffered - that was not my intent. In my mind, indicting the entire industry (considering the majority of small aircraft accidents are related to human error) makes this lawsuit a “stretch”.

1 person likes this

Posted

Rumor is that the accident was caused by a fuel flow sender installed backwards?

Sad about the results but if is true, what did Vans have to do with the installation.

An attorney called a while back to sue me because his client was bitten by the dog that resides in a rental property I own.

I asked why he did not go after the dogs owner.

He said the the dogs owner did not have any money and I probably did since I owned the house.

Also, he said I was negligent in allowing a mean dog to live in one of my rentals.

I had no idea the renter had a dog let alone mean.

I told him he was a vulture, who my insurance company was and we never heard form him again.

Posted

Rumor is that the accident was caused by a fuel flow sender installed backwards?

Sad about the results but if is true, what did Vans have to do with the installation.

An attorney called a while back to sue me because his client was bitten by the dog that resides in a rental property I own.

I asked why he did not go after the dogs owner.

He said the the dogs owner did not have any money and I probably did since I owned the house.

Also, he said I was negligent in allowing a mean dog to live in one of my rentals.

I had no idea the renter had a dog let alone mean.

I told him he was a vulture, who my insurance company was and we never heard form him again.

The only thing worse that an ambulance chaser is a divorce shyster..

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I hope this shyster loses in court.  The thief who started this BS was the one who sued Piper and got $50million when some guy did a bad loop in a 40-year-old Cub years ago.  Insurance doubled...That's why so many attorneys become politicians: 

"Poly-ticks"= Many-Bloodsucking Parasites!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Warning: :soapbox:

-------------------------

When we have lawyers who design their practice around phone banks, something is wrong. The phone bank takes telephone calls answering saturation TV advertising about whatever-type-litigation-of-the-day, non-lawyers take the calls and then they farm out the lawsuits... it's a lawsuit mill. Some states have pursued tort reform but we desperately need national Tort Reform in this country to do away with outrageous 'shotgun' lawsuits. A small business can go broke winning a lawsuit because of the cost and time involved.

I like the English' rule where the loser pays but I don't believe that alone will work. The big problem is that in many abusive lawsuits the plaintiff cannot pay. Even if you win a judgment you can't get blood out of a rock. I think combining the Engilsh rule with elimination of the comparative negligence joint and several liability rule (where it makes no difference whether you were only one percent negligent if you were the only one with deep pockets) to help insulate businesses (ie. Exp. Aircraft Kit manufacturers) from negligence claims so long as their product was used as approved (ie. by FAA) and the manufacturer does not know their product had been tampered with (ie. globbing on RTV to seal threaded fittings in a fuel system).

Still not enough. Limit non-economic loss damage awards and punitive damage awards, capping that on a sliding scale based on the size of a defendant corporation. Most importantly, new limits on trial lawyer contingency fees would work wonders. Put the plaintiff's attorney on the hook for loser fees along with his client so to speak. This would be a huge help, particularly in the medical field when doctors are retiring at a record pace because they keep facing record malpractice claims. If my doctor goes out of business it hurts me, my daughter already has to travel over an hour to see her new doctor thanks to Obamacare (and what asshat coined the phrase 'Affordable Health Care Act' ?, don't even get me started on the ridiculously high premiums this pile of trash legislation caused her, no wonder they have to threaten you with even higher fines to comply).

Aggrieved people who think they have been injured would still have the right to go to court and seek remedy to be made whole, and innocent people might be free from threat of frivolous but life destroying litigation. Pretty much everyone agrees on this so Tort Reform should be simple, right? Don't hold your breath. There was a book written not too many years ago that called trial lawyers the third political party in America because they gave Democratic candidates more money than the Democratic Party gave Democratic candidates, literally. The lawyers are dug in, cornered with their backs against the wall. And they are smart.

1 person likes this

Posted

Pathetic. And I'll keep my post short because it would only echo your thoughts.

What's the difference between an attorney and a catfish? One is a scum sucking bottom dweller and the other is a fish!

Posted

There will never be true Tort Reform as long as the lawyers are writing the laws...'Nuf Said

Posted

I greatly dislike the term "Experimental Aircraft" and I share the sentiment of this lawsuit bearing risk for the entire experimental aircraft industry.

With permission from Dr. McLeni, I'll link to my musing on "the other" forum...

Why "Experimental Aircraft" Is The Wrong Term And Why We Shouldn't Use It

2 people like this