Screaming HIGH EGT's 582

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Let me offer a couple of comments on this really interesting thread:

1avidflyer the muffler is an important part of the way a Rotax two-stroke works. The muffler is tuned like a French horn and creates a wave that supports the exhaust pattern, so a badly tuned muffler can result in significant EGT problems. You are exactly right to recommend looking at the muffler if you're chasing EGT problems. In fact all of us two-stroke drivers should know that messing with the muffler could be a great way to ruin your engine.

As a general comment on EGT and clean spark plugs, I put the hacman leaning system on my 582 (with Joey's help) and can really control the EGT and mixture of my engine. I think the thing cost about 200 bucks, at took about an hour and a half to install. It is really worth it. In-flight above 2000 feet I often lean, and by 5000 feet it's a real necessity to get good power. Taking off from some of the Western airports during my cross country, Eileen for takeoff and got good power. It took me 40 hours to come across the country and I pull the plugs at the end and were clean and brown, with no black gunk at all.

Posted

I installed aviasport EGT instrument from Aircraft Spruce... Spruce also has the "K" type thermocouples but kinda expensive. If you look on ebay they are pretty cheap so I ordered several . I put the system together on the benche and used a torch and a westach egt system as a test standard and they both read the same... .the aviasport is easier to read.

one instrument changes from front to rear cylinder every 2 secs so one guage for 2 cylinders....had good luck with it so far.

Also the instrument needle has an expanded scale so is easier to read...

Like I say, go to ebay and look for "K" type thermocouples.....pretty cheap

15-08559a.jpg

15-09440.jpg