Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buccaneer XA - need sail advice

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm fixing up an old Buccaneer XA.  The previous owner put a really nice 503 with a clutch driven 6 blade IVO prop.  However I don't have much faith in the sails.

I'd like to sew a set for it myself.  I'm a pretty good seamstress with a walking foot machine (web gear & tactical kit).  But I don't have patterns, nor have I sewn and installed sails before.  The wings are formed by battons.  The rest of the surfaces are pretty straightforward. 

I think a plane like this uses preshrunk polyester fabric like Dacorn.  Any guidance/advice is appreciated.

The second pic below, I pulled the Buc out of the hanger and within 15 minutes all these other planes flew in from other airfields, including another pink Buc!  It was kind of funny.

BuccaneerXA1.jpeg

BuccaneerXA2.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Love the gathering of pretty birds - What do you mean the wings are battons?  I am totally ignorant of the UL birds.

I know that one of the lightweight RANS birds had slip-on covers, but don't have a clue as to how they are attached.

EDMO

Posted

What do you mean the wings are battons?  I am totally ignorant of the UL birds.

EDMO

Batton's like hang gliderers use to form their wings. They slide in the wing fabric and give the wing it's shape. 

I just found out the current owner of all rights, parts, patterns and does repair service & replacement sails for these little water birds is in my backyard. What is truly coincidental/serendipitous is he is the guy I bought my Avid Flyer from!

1 person likes this

Posted

What do you mean the wings are battons?  I am totally ignorant of the UL birds.

EDMO

Batton's like hang gliderers use to form their wings. They slide in the wing fabric and give the wing it's shape. 

I just found out the current owner of all rights, parts, patterns and does repair service & replacement sails for these little water birds is in my backyard. What is truly coincidental/serendipitous is he is the guy I bought my Avid Flyer from!

Sounds like you found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - in your backyard !

EDMO