Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ALUMINUM VS STEEL DOOR FRAMES?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Larry Av8r3400,  The photos you posted on Ultralight fly-in made me ask.

Have there been any issues with the aluminum doors compared to the steel frames?

Any problems with leakage, closing, cracking?  What kind of latches do you have?

The Avid-type front and back latches look like they would be better than my old Kitfox latches, which only latched the front.

Did yours come pre-drilled for the Lexan?   What thickness Lexan?

I have a set of each, aluminum is undrilled except hinge bolt holes, and the steel set is made for windows.

I really liked being able to open the windows on my KF2.  Had the small round vents in them too.

Thanks,

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

My frames are aluminum.  I've never heard of issues with cracking or any problem with the aluminum.

Like most everything else the latches on my Mangy Project are custom, with a locking rod going both forward and aft to engage the fuselage.  

My yellow plane has simple twist latches, I think from Murle Williams, which only latch the front.

Posted

How do you unlatch the doors from the outside?  Any way to lock them? Photos?

Thanks,

EDMO

Posted

My yellow plane has a hole through the plexiglass to access an allen head screw which turns the latch.

I'll use the same system on the Mangy.

Posted

Larry,

Are you going to Patent that latch, or make it?  Would you care to post a photo or two of it?

Thanks,

EdMO

Posted

It's made and finished, but all disassembled now.  I will take some pics when I put it back together.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Larry,

Seems like I have had to design and re-design about every part of Foxy Flapper, from the cowl to nose gear to the wings and firewall to the tailfeathers, and still doing that -

Would be nice to see some other ideas.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri