Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The buzzard

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is what's getting me by until the Avid gets restored. Low hour 912 but runs a little rough. (Carb balance I hope) Very docile to fly and actually takes some getting used to because of the float factor compared to the Avid. Needs some mandatory upgrades and tune up because of age. Now I'm learning about carb balance and gear box noises.

post-232-0-51790300-1436454723.jpg

Edited by IFMT
1 person likes this

Posted

Sweet!  I tried and tried to call this outfit before I got my Avid.  I was seriously looking into buying one and driving down to pick one up, but they never returned phone calls or emails.  I would be really interested in a full flight report, take off landing performance etc.  They look like a pretty solid little bird!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Bet that the wings don't fold....Dang,  I could have been flying several other types if I hadn't caught Foxitis, and still haven't recovered from it!    Sure would like to hear more info about it - where made?

EDMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The little Buzzard is a plane similar to the Karatoo, or the Cubby II.  It is a very nicely built Canadian Ultralight.  The Wing is all Aluminum with a D tube style construction.  The Fuse and tail feathers are chrome moly and the fabric is painted with latex and then clear coated from the factory. It is a great flying plane, Docile, honest, and forgiving.  I put strut fairings on mine and cruise at about 75 to 80mph at 5900 RPM on the 582 Greyhead.  Stall is in the area of 30 to 35mph.  The wing uses a Clark Y airfoil and is pretty cublike.  It is a side by side seating with a 40inch width.  It was marketed as a Ultralight trainer.  Empty weight on mine is 650lbs.  With two 10 gal tanks I can cruise about 3 hrs with reserve.  The 912 would do much better.  I believe the plane was built as a cottage industry with many different craftsmen building different components in their own facility.  (that is not a known fact just what I have been able to gleam out of conversations with different people)  I have never had a reply from calling the number on the website.  Could have been a great tough little plane but I think there was more smoke and mirrors than actual sales.  Still I really like mine and fly it weekly. And no the wings do not fold, which is why I am rebuilding a KitFox IV.   It does land nicely.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=640HKG-y49g

RamBuzzard2.jpg

Posted

Those stall numbers really make me want to build a wing for my Avid using the cub airfoil.  I think it would make one sweet plane out of it!

Still wish I could have gotten them to answer the phone, I had several people ready to buy them and I was going to go for a dealership with them.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

You Avid should do as well or better than that. 

Posted

I like it. Is it single place or side by?

Posted

The buzzard is an all around bigger airplane than the Avid. You can glide the buzzard down power off no problem. Very stable in steep bank. Doesn't require the amount of opposite aileron and rudder pressure like the avid. Carries two people with ease. My bent avid has the sube so wing loading is much higher. The buzzard wing is huge compared to the avid. Having both I can say the Buzzard is definitely more docile. Flying an Avid, especially a heavy Avid, will make you a better taildragger pilot. Power off my Avid would drop. Always needed to give a blast of power to arrest sink rate on landing. Buzzard is side by side seating. Lots of room.

1 person likes this