Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bladder/pillow range extender tanks

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Just some ideas at this stage.

At times it would be an advantage to have a little more range.

I have two 22 litre wing tanks,one each side plus a wing locker in the right,currently 2.5 hrs range,3 at a push.My cargo pod can take two 10 ltr fuel cans which requires a fuel stop!

Has anyone used a fuel bladder?

Preferred option would be to install in the wing locker holding 15+ltrs (another hour)

Fuel would be transferred to the main tanks via a facet pump,having no vent would be an advantage!

Question, were could the fuel line be routed,is there room to go between the wing tank and rear/ front spar

Or is there room to go over the rear spar and through holes drilled in the ribs.

At this stage I can't bring myself to open up a wing to install a larger tank that would be only occasionally used

Option two would see a bladder fitted in the cargo pod but this would be difficult to fill

Any ideas/ suggestions appreciated

Posted (edited)

Dusty,

I had installed two 12 gallon tanks in each wing for long flights from and across Alaska and Canada - I had some plans to join the two tanks, and had fittings for that put in each tank.   However, in case one tank started leaking, I decided to run lines from each directly to valves in the cockpit.  I cant fill the outer tanks unless flying solo, which is usually the case.

To run the line from the outer tank I got a 3/8 OD aluminum fuel line tube (you could use a smaller one) and drilled the ribs at the point where the tanks are siliconed to the rear spar underneath - there should be room to slip the tube into that indentation and use silicone to hold it, and hook up some rubber hoses at the tank screen fitting and at the shutoff valve.   The valve is T'd into the main fuel line, and I have one valve for each tank.  No photos yet.

Hope this helps.

EDMO

Re: Bladders:   I have plans to install a piss-tube running back to the tailspring,

which I now need about 4 times for each tank used!  :lol:

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, that piss tube is not easy to hit in a plane with a stick that does not have auto pilot unless you put in a catheter prior to flight!  I tried it in the Avid coming back from the lodge last trip and finally said screw it and landed on a muddy beach that covered the plane in mud as the ole inflight piss bottle trick just was not working :lol:  either that or just fly with sweat pants on for easy access :lmao:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Leni,

Where there is a will, there is a way!  Some of the high-altitude flight suits had a built-in tube that connected to the plane's tubing.  I wore one once.

Ever look at the cup that goes on a cow's teats that is connected to a suction tube?  all you need is a quick-connect strapped to your ankle....Now you know why young jet pilots are always smiling!   :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

You guys left a lot of openings there  :flush:

I'll pass though...

Posted

Kff... in all fairness to me, I was trying to pull off the great Alaskan Miracle.. trying to pull 8" of pecker out of 9" of clothing as I had my snow gear on :lmao:

Posted (edited)

And, the BS gets deeper!

you know why women cant tell distance or time?  They have been told all their life that:  The distance between a man's thumb and forefinger is supposed to be 10 inches,  and 5 minutes is  "all-night"!   :lol:

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Dusty,

Is there a fuel bladder you can buy that fits in the wing locker?   What about using a tire tube, but you would have to vent it somehow to fill it, I guess?  Maybe if it is not inflated?

I think I skipped bladder class in Av School - had to go to piss!  I remember something like foam being in the warplanes tanks, like the Cessna 337...

I sent you a PM on this, but wanted to get it on here for others to comment.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The local coastguard have a 15ltr pillow tank in one of their rescue boats,it looks like a perfect fit.

I have taken measurements and will check the locker,and as a bonus they are made locally!

1 person likes this

Posted

A bladder tank should work for you, or you can put one behind the seat as well.  Nlappos put one in his Avid for the flight from California back to the east coast.  For me after 2 or 3 hours in the Avid I am ready to land someplace and stretch my legs and relieve myself.  So landing and taking gas from your cargo pod and putting in in the wing tank is not a bad option unless there is no place to land.

How about posting up some pictures of your cargo pod!

Posted

Ak, I will take some photos this weekend and post them.

Behind the seat was considered but I only have the draggy flapperon trim so on the c of g would suit best

Most aircraft in our flying group are faster than me,I often leave 10-15minuts before the rest which gets us to our destination at the same time.

Not having similar range if I land out the others have to wait.

I agree 2-3 hrs is time for a walk around etc!

Posted (edited)

Dusty,

Guess I could look it up on the internet - I think your island is mountains on one side and sheep ranches below - Is your flying across flat land, or hills and valleys?   How far are your flights?  Got any photos to post?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I saw some plastic football shaped fuel tanks that attach to the lift struts years ago...maybe I can find them again...

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/fuelsystem/wingtanks.htm

Found them!  Not too spendy.  If a guy made some brackets with quick detach fittings they could be used for long trips.  A 12v automotive type pump could be used to transfer the fuel.  They hold 4.5IMP gallons,  that is around 5.5 US gallons.  One on each wing would give a guy 11 gallons of reserve fuel.  Weight full would be around 35 lbs per tank. 

Just thinking because I'm also in the hunt for extended fuel capacity for some longer trips.

MarkD

2 people like this

Posted

MarkD

These would work but I wouldn't be comfortable with anything hanging off my lift struts!

ED

We have a mountain range running the length of our island.

We often fly coast to coast for a coffee run,90nm each way!

On a good day we fly the low passes at 3000ft.generally 7000ft gets us over the lower ranges,9000ft if it gets a bit choppy!

We fly over "tiger country" generally no more than an hour at a time

I will post photos when I can( I tried a while ago but gave up, password issues)

My longest flight was 7 1/4 hrs pushing 35-40 kts of headwind watching cars and trucks pass us!

Posted (edited)

Dusty,

Guessing you live on the South island - Christchurch?   I didn't realize the mountains were in the middle of the island until I pulled up a map - thought they were on east side only.   Interesting - and Tigers too?

Does the Queen let you pack a gun? - Oh, you are "independent" now?

I watched with interest when Australia took rifles and shotguns from the farmers and residents there, and the armed crime rate went up 800% shortly after!

My Uncle was in New Guinea and the Phillipines with General McArthur during WW2 and he told about snakes big enough to swallow a man in the jungles - didn't mention Tigers tho - Just Japs trying to kill him!

That 5 gallon football looks like a good one to hang in the turtledeck area....

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

No tigers just a description of wild country!we don't have any dangerous animals,a few wasp stings is as bad as it gets.

Guns! a few,mostly recreational.very little crime here,seldom involving firearms!

Posted

Oh,  I took it serious about Tigers - figured that they liked to eat sheep!  Couldn't figure how they could swim from India....There was the Tasmanian Tiger until it went extinct in early 1900s.   It looked like a cross between wolf and tiger.

We had a couple of Siberian Tigers in the Anchorage, Alaska Zoo - They were HUGE!  Probably 2 times as big as Indian tigers.

Good Flying,

EdMO

Posted

May be a no go on the pillow tank.

The local manufacturer wanted to know what sort of boat I had

I told them it was a home built off road vehicle!

(I only use roads occasionally)

Will try another source or go for a fabricated alloy slip in type