Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel Shut Off Valves (wing) - suggestions

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I will be placing shut off vales in each wing fuel feed line (vertical run between the tank and header tank).  Using aluminum fuel line and AN-5 fittings (though can easily accomodate/adapt tp NPT (1/8" or 1/4").

Amazed at how pricey these buggers are looking through aircraft spruce and a few others.  Just need a decent fuel tolerant ball valve.  Any suggestions?

Would like to keep it under $40.00 per valve, not be too bulky and easy to operate.

Any thoughts here appreciated.

Larry

Posted (edited)

Larry,

I bought a chrome 1/4 turn ball valve from Grainger for less than $10 for my main shut-off from pump to carb.  fittings have to be added.  I am using aluminum lines from pump to firewall only.

Then I found an ad for several very small motorcycle / lawnmower valves from heddonpalgunparts on ebay, and they came in different sizes and configurations - I bought 4 of them for 3/8 tubing less than $40 total with shipping - They are plated and made with integeral fittings to slip rubber fuel line on.  Don't forget to add extra rubber fuel line length from tank to valve to allow wings to swing.  You could use a short rubber line from valve to fitting for aluminum lines to header, but most use rubber all the way to header tank.

If you can't find them, get back with me.  Guess I could take a photo....may have a copy of the ebay ad?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I got all of my fuel ball-valves from the Ace Hardware aircraft supply aisle. $2-3?

Posted (edited)

Larry 3400,

I forgot about ACE hardware - Found (Chinn?) tires and tubes there - a 600 x 6 tube with 90 degree stem was only $11 in aircraft aisle!  Going today to get pressure washer for $69.99.  Independence Day gift for wife!  :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Larry 3400,

I forgot about ACE hardware - Found (Chinn?) tires and tubes there - a 600 x 6 tube with 90 degree stem was only $11 in aircraft aisle!  Going today to get pressure washer for $69.99.  Independence Day gift for wife!  :lol:

EDMO

If it's an electric pressure washer I wouldn't bother.  All of them I've tried in the past seem to have a bad prostrate problem  :-

Posted (edited)

Mark,

Maybe your water in Sunland is more potent?   I couldn't drink the stuff in Sarasota because the sulphur smelled so bad!  The Bud Lite was OK tho!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/appages/inlineshutoff.php?clickkey=7368

I have one of these on each wing tank.  Tygon tubing from the wing fitting to the valve inside the cabin, a short piece of tubing from the valve to the aluminum tubing that runs to the header tank behind the seat.

6 years and no leaks so far.  I do replace the tygon tubing every couple of years.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Looks just like my 3/8 valves.  Maybe my 4 were under $30, guess that would still be under $40?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I use the same valves as Leni, except mine are 1/4" tube for the Tygon on the top and 1/8" NPT on the bottom which is threaded into the top of my header tank.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

thebriman,

So.......What happens if you get a leak somewhere between the wing tank and the valve on header tank :huh:

I want my valves to be close to the wing tanks....But, where I can see and reach them...

Don't want to be another John Denver!

EDMO

I saw that Harrison Ford has been flying again!   Yea!!!

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Great info.  Thanks all and Hapy 4th!