Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DAVE JOHNSON EA-81 WITH REDRIVE EBAY

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I found an EA-81 on ebay just as it ended.   Low hours with belt redrive.  No bids at $1900, or buy-it-now at $2500.   $150 shipping to 48 or pick up in Georgia.  I wrote the guy and told him I would post it on here if he was going to relist on ebay - waiting for an answer - If I get one, I will post here.  This one is not Black...

This one has the starter pointed forward - Mine is to rear of belt drive and fits cowl better - this can be changed.

Reiner Hoffman had some Stratus mounts for sale recently - I can find him too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

4 July SELLER RELISTED THIS ebay # 231 613 226 542 But ad now says no shipping ?

Last ad said shipping to 48.

200 hrs Since O/H

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Seems to be a reasonable price...but I'm still a noob

Posted (edited)

As a comparison, Stratus EA-81 w/redrive is about $10,000.   Some redrives alone are from $3500 to $4500.

I paid $2600 for a Dave Johnson engine with redrive and 75 hours SMOH about 12 years ago.

I don't know what RAM now charges.

I wont even talk about Eggenfeldner engines - don't like them at all.

This is a good price for a low hour engine that should be good for 300,000 miles or more in a car, or 1500 to 2000 hours or more in a plane before needing any work, and parts or overhauls are very cheap.

Joey has an NSI engine, but don't know what he wants for it.

I have a spare stock engine with 31,000 original miles on it - I paid $1000 for it in Alaska.

EDMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The only soob I have any exposure to was a Avid I was considering before I bought my KF. I didn't like what the owner had to say about the W&B and then he wouldn't send a copy of it to me. After hearing stories about his experience and escapades, I wanted to have nothing to do with it.

Lou

Posted (edited)

Guess everyone has opinions - There are several Soob Drivers on here, and they do quite well.

I wish we had a list of them, the planes, and the kind of conversion -

Suberavid does great with his Stratus - Just ask Leni, or watch the videos/photos of Randy flying in Alaska.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Randy has a fat Avid and he still has to keep his survival pack in the back of the extended baggage to get the CG back... but that bird flys very well and will get in and out just as short if not shorter than my avid, it will out climb my for sure especially on a hot day.  There is no substitute for HP.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think Luke is planning a C-85 for his new bird - A little lighter than a Subaru conversion - Should be a good performer too.

When we put a C-90 in the 65hp Cub, and the 0-200 in the 65hp Luscomb, it made real big difference in performance.

Like Leni said, "There is no substitute for HP"  It makes a big difference.  You just got to adjust the CG.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I think Luke is planning a C-85 for his new bird...

Yep, that's my plan. The reason is that it should be small enough to hand prop so I can run no electrical if I decide to. This saves starter, alternator (or gen), and starter battery. If I decide I hate hand propping, I have the option to take the weight penalty, and add an electrical system.

Posted (edited)

Guessing you have a C85 -12, so do you have a -8 cover for the starter opening, or another way to close it?

I hate propping, and mostly fly solo - Don't think my torn rotary cuff right arm would take it - I want a starter and etc.  Hand propping with the GA fiberglasss props may not be good to do all the time anyway?  I don't think it is recommended?  Of course, you may probably use a wood or metal fixed prop for that engine?

Edmo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Don't have a complete engine yet. Just some parts (yellow tagged flange crank). I plan to get the engine when I'm closer to needing it. I was pretty impressed with what Frank Knapp could do with a C-85. Of course, his engine has had quite a bit of extra help to make it perform like that, and his airplane is stripped down to almost nothing. Still, I think it will be a pretty good fit for the Avid if I can keep the airframe weight down. I think he has a Catto prop. Not sure that's in my budget. I'll probably use a wood one.

Posted (edited)

C-85 cranks used to be scarce.  some outfit was selling a kit to use an 0-200 crank in them a long time ago.

Don't know if the parts / machining have been done so you can convert a -8 to -12, but you can always remove starter from -12.

How is your progress on plane?  Any photos?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I was planning a -12 then I have the option. No progress lately. The lack of work on the plane is embarrassing  :P. I did organize my garage a little over the weekend. Made a little rack to store my chromoly tubing so I can see what I have on hand. Hope to get back to work on the plane sometime soon. Work is consuming all my time right now though.

Posted

I have a Dave Johnson redrive. Well built and absolutely trouble free. Yes the plane ends up heavy at 726+ pounds empty with counterweight on the tail. My version is a pretty much stock EA 81.(bent right now) Take offs were 450-500 feet with just me. Performance in climb and cruise was good. Not so good with a passenger. If you plan mainly yourself and gear the soob works well on an avid. Keep in mind that with the power off it's not a floaty thing and it will drop. Keep the speed above 50 to keep it flying safely. 60 on approach. The soob is a great running, smooth, reliable engine. I just got a 912 and now I'm learning about finicky.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just wait until you need part$ or rebuild on that 912....

EdMO

I just learned that the EA-81 dual ignition, redrive, IVO prop sold for $1425.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri