Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

N279AF is alive again!

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I know you guys are probably getting sick of seeing pics of this thing on the ground. A buddy of mine came out to the hangar with me on Saturday and he had an expensive with a wide angle lense. He snapped some pics for me. Hopefully the next batch will be of it breaking ground for the first time since 1993.

Photoshoot2.jpg

Photoshoot6.jpg

Photoshoot3.jpg

Photoshoot7.jpg

Got a little Captn in me

Photoshoot5.jpg

Posted

That last one looks like a candidate for the cover of next month's GQ.  Well, maybe...    :2cent:

Posted

Never get tired of seeing pics or hearing stories.  That is why this site is here!  I have stuck that pose myself once or twice...

1028_4ecf1c4c3a2b3e391f426d11a7d4b516c17

Posted

Nice pic Leni! I went out today and did a full power engine run. Static it's reading about 6400. Is that a good pitch to start with???? It had a little bit of a vibration but not too bad. My prop tracking was good and I double triple checked the torque on my hub and blade clamps so not going to worry about it too much. The temp came up to about 175 and stayed there. Not sure how accurate either gauge is. I have a tiny tach I'm going to slap in there for the next run to compare things to. After the fun was over I shut it down and took the cowling off. I was messing with a fuel line last weekend and it cracked open right at the edge of the nipple  :o so I replaced every inch on the whole thing just to be safe. Looking back at my receipts I guess we put that line on about 3 years ago when Dean Wilson installed my engine so it was due. I also had a slight seep in my gascolator so replaced the gasket and screen. I figured I would have a few small issues once I started running fuel through it again. Besides that I just finished prepping it for the mechanic coming Saturday morning. Cross your fingers that my conditional goes smoothly so I can get the DAR on his way out and get this thing in the air.

Posted

I like 6200 on the ground.  If you are turning too many RPM, your EGTs are gonna go over 1200 in the air pretty easy.  Make sure you put the tiny tach in.  I have seen way too many lies coming off the analog tachs.  From 1500-2000 RPM off to 2-300 RPM off but I have never seen the analog line up with the tiny tach.  The tiny is absolute, the analog seems to wander a bit.

:beerchug:

Posted

I bought one for mine but never got around to putting it in. I have one on my Powered parachute and love it. I'll put it in and run it again before I screw with my prop too much. The previous owner of this package was from only about 200 miles from here and he said 11 degrees worked pretty good for him which is where I set it to. It's the older style Warp Drive with the funky shaped blade.

Posted

Conditional in the morning..wish me luck!! Leni I picked up a F210 from Rogue Marine online for $116. They were 20 bucks cheaper than anyone else.

Posted

I think that is where I got my last one for the boat!  I have 3 of these now :lol:

You dont need luck, you got this one in the bag.!  well, how about good luck flying it after you get the CI completed!

Posted

Got a log book entry stating my airplane is airworthy and safe for flight today!! I meet with the DAR on Wed afternoon for my AW cert!!!

Posted

Well tomorrow is the big day. I meet with the DAR at noon. I'm busy all weekend so not sure when the first flight will be but hopefully soon! We've had some crazy winds around here the last week too. It may take a little while to get a calm day.

Posted

wind laying down in the evenings?  I would be hard pressed not to take her for a spin tomorrow late afternoon :lol:  As long as the wind favors the runway and is 10-15 fly the crap out of it, just watch your initial crosswind/downwind turns and keep your speed up.

Posted

DAR visit went good!!! I've got that magical little piece of paper FINALLY! It only took a little over an hour. Of course the paperwork was paramount. I had everything in clear plastic sleeves and in a three ring binder so it was very organized. He did the Math on my W&B, checked all the paperwork, and then spent about 20 minutes looking over the airplane. He asked a few questions here and there but nothing to cosmic. It took longer to review the Operating Limitations and sign the papers than the actual inspection. He gave me a pretty generous area to operate in for my Phase I flight testing.

I am super busy this week with stuff but it's already eating away at me to fly her. I am going to add a degree of pitch to the prop and then she is ready for her maiden voyage.

IMG_3674-1.jpg

Posted

Pink never looked so good, Congrats!  :beerchug:

Might be good time to skim thru the FAA 1st Flight Advisory AC NO: 90-89A.

Have fun!