Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Belly Radiators

9 posts in this topic

Posted

It's summer, time to talk cooling, again.

I've noticed that my bird is running a bit hot and I've worked with what I had by going from a 50/50 mix to a 90/10 mostly water mix. That helped. I'm about to lower the radiator another 1/2-3/4 inch. it's already 2" from the belly.

Looking at a few radiator upgrades and wanted to know if anyone has used the aluminum one on ebay? Or the murle williams aluminum radiator. They look almost identical. Prices are close enough to not be a major factor. Which one has the most cooling capability and fits the best?

--Ebay Winner Racing $285--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winner-Racing-aluminum-radiator-Kitfox-w-Rotax-532-582-618-670-2-stroke-engine-/400370095772?hash=item5d37ead69c&vxp=mtr

--Muerle WIlliams  $325--

http://www.sonoragraphics.com/williamsaviation/radiator.html

--KF oversized $385-- pg23  Part#45058.000

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Product_Catalog/KApartscatalog.pdf

Has anyone used these?

Thanks,

Posted (edited)

Thermostat installed?  If so, what temp rating? 

Airflow is a huge factor.  Some sort of cowling could be a viable consideration as well.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

I have been contemplating adding a "scoop" on my belly radiator at some point. I saw a you tube video Kitfox Flyer had posted showing one he built and added to his Kitfox or Avid. He didn't show much detail. Anyone have photos?

Lou

Posted (edited)

Dooley,

Williams makes a good radiator.   Someone on here has one.  Larry or ChrisB?

I agree with Akflyer about not trusting Chinese aluminum or welding.

Donno who makes Kitfox rads - you could ask them - Maybe Chinese? -  but usually just jacked up prices.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

My new belly rad vintage Kitfox configuration was running hot too. Over the w/e I wrapped the L/H aluminum line I have feeding the L/H port of the radiator with firewall insulation fire blanket and got at least a 5deg temp drop -- that line runs precariously close to the exhaust stack coming off the header feeding the muffler.

Posted

I don't really know anything about belly radiators, but this made me think of a video I saw about a guy that put a V8 in a Zenith. He had some interesting comments about getting his belly rad to work properly. He said that until he got it working right, the air was actually flowing backwards through it. Here is the video. Radiator info starts around 3 minute mark.

1 person likes this

Posted

interesting to see how close are the flaps to the wing in comparison of our avids.

Posted

FWIW, regarding Chinese radiators, I've been running them in dirtbikes used for single track in the mountains of AZ for years.  Never had a problem with any of them, despite the severe service and occasional lay downs/crashes.  YMMV

Posted

interesting to see how close are the flaps to the wing in comparison of our avids.

I like the way the Zenith flap hanger openings are on the bottom of the flaperons where you don't get as much water in them, but they may not be as effective as the Avid/Kitfox flaperons which are lower than the wing and should have more air pressure on them.

EdMO