Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox Trim Tab

11 posts in this topic

Posted

7 people like this

Posted

Nice! I would'a never thought of using a bicycle shifter.

Posted

I like the idea of using a spring & cable, the install looks pretty clean. Is the tab fully adjustable or is the shifter a more "on or off" approach?

Posted (edited)

I have electric trim on my Kitfox 4.  It really helps to slow the plane down on landing if I crank in a bunch of trim.   Problem is that the electric trim is pretty slow.  And then it's slow cycling back to neutral for takeoff.   This is what I did to solve that issue.  Takes just a second to pull up the bungee cord.   Now I just use the electric trim for cruise settings.  1/4" aluminum solid rod, flattened the ends, and riveted them to the joy stick.   JImChuk

20210324_200421.jpg

20210324_200438.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

One of the main reasons I modified the tail of the Mangy was to incorporate a trim tab.  Hindsight, I would have made it bigger...

Posted

I suppose if I had made a bigger trim tab then the one I have, the electric trim would have needed to move the tab less for the same results.  That would make it operate faster.  The bungee I did is supper quick though, and I'll probably just use that for landing.   On another trim situation, I have to ride the right rudder pedal.  I ended up shortening the cable a 1/4" or so, that makes the pedal a bit higher.  I think subconsciously we want our feet even in cruise.  If that doesn't work, I'll use a stronger rudder spring on the right pedal.  Hate to put a trim tab if I can avoid it.  JImChuk

Posted

Just an  update on this last post of mine.  I did make a different lever for tightening the bungee for the landing trim, and it works real good.  Posted pictures in another thread.  Ended up going with a rudder trim tab, and after a few adjustments, it's working fine.  JImChuk

Posted

I haven't flown my plane yet but I'm betting trim tabs on all three axis would be a good thing!

Posted

Plane should want to fly level on it's own if it's rigged right.  Twisting the wing a bit will lift a heavy wing.  Sometimes a small rudder trim is needed if it doesn't want to fly straight.  I ended up putting a small one on my Kitfox.  Elevator trim becomes more needed though, cause you have the elevator in a way different position for cruise flight verses landing configuration.  That is when an adjustable trim tab can help quite a bit.  On our Chief, the elevator is pretty heavy if you aren't trimmed out.  On my Kitfox, I tend to float a good bit further without landing trim, and in my Avid, I don't use elevator trim at all except for level cruise flight.  Here is what I ended up with for a trim lever for landing on the Kitfox.  It works real good, way faster then cycling the electric trim back and forth.  Now it just gets used for cruise flight.  JImChuk

20210422_195027.jpg

20210422_195005.jpg

Posted

I thought I had corrected this a long time ago, but if anyone copies this design, make sure you put a stop to limit travel on top and bottom.  It will get your attention if it jambs against the seat truss because you pushed it to far.  

20211114_170344.jpg

20211114_170351.jpg

Posted (edited)

On the topic of rudder trim tabs... None are ever needed,  Grab the top of the vertical fin and the tail post and put a little pressure on the leading edge to bend the fin to get it to fly straight.  This is the same thing that is done for super cubs etc.  A little tweak and you don't have goofy tabs hanging off the back of the rudder causing drag.

Edited by akflyer
1 person likes this