Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox Trim Tab

6 posts in this topic

Posted

7 people like this

Posted

Nice! I would'a never thought of using a bicycle shifter.

Posted

I like the idea of using a spring & cable, the install looks pretty clean. Is the tab fully adjustable or is the shifter a more "on or off" approach?

Posted (edited)

I have electric trim on my Kitfox 4.  It really helps to slow the plane down on landing if I crank in a bunch of trim.   Problem is that the electric trim is pretty slow.  And then it's slow cycling back to neutral for takeoff.   This is what I did to solve that issue.  Takes just a second to pull up the bungee cord.   Now I just use the electric trim for cruise settings.  1/4" aluminum solid rod, flattened the ends, and riveted them to the joy stick.   JImChuk

20210324_200421.jpg

20210324_200438.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

One of the main reasons I modified the tail of the Mangy was to incorporate a trim tab.  Hindsight, I would have made it bigger...

Posted

I suppose if I had made a bigger trim tab then the one I have, the electric trim would have needed to move the tab less for the same results.  That would make it operate faster.  The bungee I did is supper quick though, and I'll probably just use that for landing.   On another trim situation, I have to ride the right rudder pedal.  I ended up shortening the cable a 1/4" or so, that makes the pedal a bit higher.  I think subconsciously we want our feet even in cruise.  If that doesn't work, I'll use a stronger rudder spring on the right pedal.  Hate to put a trim tab if I can avoid it.  JImChuk