Starting my kitfox 1 build pictures here

218 posts in this topic

Posted

Jim,  The theory was, that if you use the covers that attach with the ears on the inside of the fabric, they will be rubbing on the inside patch and ring, and not on the outside fabric.   Differing opinions from different folks...EDMO

Posted

You glue the rings on the outside of the fabric. Make a frame then cover it with fabric and srink, then brush polybrush on it. Cut out a round patch a inch or so bigger than the ring. Glue it down over the ring, then finish. Doing it this way the ring will never come loose.

Posted (edited)

You glue the rings on the outside of the fabric. Make a frame then cover it with fabric and srink, then brush polybrush on it. Cut out a round patch a inch or so bigger than the ring. Glue it down over the ring, then finish. Doing it this way the ring will never come loose.

That's what we did - using the plastic ring and covering it with a patch about an inch larger - only on the inside - it was the owner's call - he had the indented covers with the ears on the back of them - we used Stewarts glue.

When we covered the j3, we put the rings and patches on the outside of the fabric with Stewarts glue.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Got off work a few hours early today, thought it was a good time to prime my fiberglass tips and fuel tank with ppg epoxy primer.

primed tips 001.JPG

primed tips 003.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

You'll be flying before you know it...    Lou

1 person likes this

Posted

Got 2 coats of poly-brush sprayed on now, tomorrow I will shoot it with poly-spray and hope I don't have any pin-holes. Hopefully tomorrow night my pictures will start to look different. 

spray brush 001.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good Mr!

If you have any pinholes show up, keep a soft brush and a can of acetone handy.  You can very gently hit the pinholes with the brush then shoot the poly spray over it and you will never see it.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

OK two cross coats done, Will wet sand tomorrow and give them a third coat, Check out my filters they were white when I started, really glad I took the time to make this paint booth,

poly-spray 001.JPG

poly-spray 003.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Gotta love progress!!  Looking good.  Keep up this pace and she will be in the air in no time!

Posted

Looking good Tjay. Have you got a paint scheme yet?

Posted

In my head I know what I want it to look like, ha we'll see how it feels when I start painting

Posted

That's kind of like me. It's still just in my head. I've got about 3 vague ideas floating around in there though. I'm not close enough to worry about it too much yet. I do collect pictures of planes with schemes that I like though. You're at the fun part of the project where you can really see big changes as you progress.

Posted

TJay, paint it red with black trim, like mine is probably going to be, then we can start a squadron!   :lol:  EDMO

Posted

TJay, paint it red with black trim, like mine is probably going to be, then we can start a squadron!   :lol:  EDMO

Ha I painted that little Fisher Avenger red and black, I think this one will be, Ahh Ill make you wait and see. ha

Posted (edited)

Ha I painted that little Fisher Avenger red and black, I think this one will be, Ahh Ill make you wait and see. ha

That Avenger sure stands out in a crowd - or in the snow!  :BC:  EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Poly spray should be thick enough so that you can put a 60 watt light bulb inside and not see light coming through.  2 cross coats did it for me.  Any thing more and it's just extra weight probably.  Few of us keep our planes outside, so the two coats are probably more than enough as well to protect the fabric from UV.  I know the manual says three coats, but they make money selling paint, and they are bound to say that better than good enough is better.  The extra coats do help to fill the weave however, and will give it more of a metal look.  To each his own.   I always want to keep the weight off.  YMMV  :-)  Wings are looking good though!    Jim Chuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Ok got the third coat of poly-spray on today and for those of you that said to wet sand, I thought you were nuts wet sanding a piece of fabric but I must say wow the smooth finish that I got is incredible, that works great, and for those of you that are wondering it took exactly 1.5 gallons of poly-spray to do 3 thick cross coats on the wings,

Posted

Damn, I think thats more than I shot on my whole plane.  But I was going for light weight.

Posted (edited)

Damn, I think thats more than I shot on my whole plane.  But I was going for light weight.

Ha Im just doing what the book says to do. You know me I always follow the rules, Always have.

Edited by TJay

Posted

I thought the rules for experimentals was "My Way!" ?   EDMo

Posted

I think it turned out OK, I am very happy with the poly-Tone finish,

painted wings 001.JPG

painted wings 003.JPG

painted wings 004.JPG

painted wings 005.JPG

painted wings 006.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Nice.  Very sharp colors. 

Posted

Looking good, one step closer!

Posted

Very nice!  Keep at it, you'll be flying it soon!  Jim Chuk

Posted

Nice job! Those should give you a lot of contrast against the sky.