Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New float plane needs a 670

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I just saw the question you asked.  The early IVO hubs did not have knurled faces on them and I guess when using 3:1 reduction at an even RPM it could set up some harmonics and created some blade movement.  The quick fix was to put SS tape across the gap on the roots of the blades and if you were getting movement the tape would break.. re-torque and tape it again and see what happens... I ran the 3:1 gears with the knurled face plates on the IVO prop without issue for quite a few hours, but IVO wont sell you a 3 blade ultralight prop if you tell them you have 3:1 gears.  There are 2 ways I found to get around the IVO road block.. 1) tell them you want a 2 blade set up and the blade "blocks" and you want a spare blade incase you break one on a gravel strip in the middle of no where.. Option 2) tell them you have 2.62"1 gears and order the 3 blade and save yourself 25 bucks :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Does the fairing material just snap on the tubing like the stuff kitfox sells? 

Posted

No it slides over but it does have a lip in side to keep it centered on the tube.higher quality than the stuff ive used before but also heavier. Thanks for the ivo info .ill probably save the twenty five bucks.

Posted

Please provide some inputs on this engine as you get more time on it. Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on his 670's. My engine is going back to him next week for an overhaul. He built it originally for me 5 years ago.

Posted

I certainly will .ill be flying it a lot more as the weather warms up.

Posted

How did your Rotax Rick 670 work out for you? I think I will need one also when my 582 has done it's time.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Anders, 

I installed a new 670 about a year ago, and documented the results in a separate thread. Overall, it has been excellent. The install was a drop-in to the 582 mount. The exhaust fit perfectly, I had to cut the bottom of the cowl about 3" to accommodate the new exhaust muffler. Power is as advertised, starts and runs great, the weight increase is about 10-15 lbs, and that includes the new 3 bladed Warp Drive prop and the belly radiator (needed due to the extra power/heat of the 670). My new weight with new wide bush gear, new prop, new belly radiator and the 670 is a total of 19.5 lbs more than my 582. I operate at over 6000 feet takeoff, and typical DA runs 9000 so I see the power of a sea-level 582 here at 9000 feet. 

Here is the entire thread, discussing install, performance and weights:

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/5734-new-rotax-670-install/&page=1

Edited by nlappos
3 people like this