Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New float plane needs a 670

32 posts in this topic

Posted

So I just finished this new plane cause I had so much fun with the single seater on floats I bought a two seater , only problem is it doesn't have enough power to pick me and my wife up safely (only climbed 200 fpm) so at six hours on airframe and power plant I'm going to yank the engine off and get the 670 from Rick .

Just wondering how the install went for other members , I know it's a different type plane so I'm sure I won't have the exhaust issue, but still wondering how everything else went as far as jetting and so on.

post-574-0-76487000-1424014899_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-11009100-1424014949_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-73160700-1424015009_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

easy way to pick up some climb is to wrap something around those tubes and streamline them.  I got right around 200 FPM just by streamlining my struts on my avid.  You have a whole bunch of tubes hanging out there causing lots of drag.  Some .020 aluminum wrapped around the tubes and rivet at the trailing edge with maybe a few foam formers will be a whole bunch cheaper than a 670.. the flip side is, you can never have too much power in a plane so get the 670 anyways, streamline the tubes and have a real performer! 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I've known several people who have done 618 and 670 Rotax snowmobile conversions in airplanes (Avids and Kitfoxes), from Rick and others.

None of them were successful.  Poor reliability being the main reason, impossible tuning and uncontrollable peaky power bands being more reasons cited.  No one trusted them very far from the pattern at the airport.

There's a guy on TeamKitfox with one (in a model III, I believe).  When pressed, he will finally admit to only having a few hours on the plane, but sings the praises of incredible power and performance.  I say, if it's so incredible, why so few hours on the plane.  There is a reason not being stated.  I believe that reason to be what the people I have know have stated (above).

Posted

If you could put points on the front of those big floaty thingys, that should add 50 mph to your cruise!

EDMO

Posted

Ed,

My full lotus floats actually cruise and climb better than the EDO floats.  I know I cruise faster on the full lotus than I do with the skis on my Avid.

:BC:

Posted

Amazing - I would never have believed that from someone else - maybe they are big wingy thingys?

EDMO

Posted

the streamline covers do make a big difference but the gap in performance is to big and it is underpowered .I thought someone on this forum had good luck with the 670.

ed .full lotus are heavy and not very pointy but they are the only float for me cause theyre tough and as much fun as they are in the summer ,even more fun in the winter.they beat straight skis off the snow.i was landing in three feet of powder this winter and they stay on top of it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Snaps has lots of 670 time on float planes.

Posted (edited)

3 inches of powder here last night and I am getting cabin fever already!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If Leni could get his 800 going, it should have a float takeoff like JATO!

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I bet it will to ed,that's the same engine as the m8 snowmobile isn't it.

I am in need of a rotax c gear box if any has one otherwise ill have to buy a new one. ithink the 2.62 ratio ?anybody know .ill be using the 70" 

warp drive that came of my avid.

1 person likes this

Posted

.ill be using the 70" 

warp drive that came of my avid.

Don't think you can use the same prop on a pusher that was used on a tractor application.  Not unless you are using an engine that turns opposite direction.....  Jim Chuk

Posted

I ran a 70" tapered tip warp with a 2.62:1 Box for 300 hrs. Great combination!

Posted

Im using it now on a single seat tbird that I took the floats off of .dropped it too a two blade with the hpl hub .a belt driven tractor and a geared pusher spin the same way .warp came off the subaru when I installed the ifa.

(The ifa still amazes me every time I fly the avid)

thanks joey ill get the 2.62 then .

Posted

I have lost some hair wondering if the Warp Drive pusher left-hand rotation blades could be set in the hub backwards and used in the tractor right-hand rotation position. Wondering if IVO could work that way too?

EdMO

Posted

im sure they would the blades are still going forward

Posted (edited)

Warp might do it - Believe the IVO has pins in the blades, and they might not work reversed in the hub?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

well I couldn't get a 2.62 gearbox ,well I could but rick got me a used one out of Austria with3.1 so basically I get free clutch with the savings .so I guess same prop with more pitch ?prop moving slower is better I would think.

Posted (edited)

Seems like someone said the 3:1 couldn't be used with side mount :huh: Do you have bottom mount?

Or, was that for Kitfox?

I know nothing about this!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

yeah it is the bottom mount.

Posted

There are a whole lot of planes using side mounts and 3:1.  The only thing I have heard about 3:1 was IVO said don't use 3 blade ultralight prop with the 3:1.  I did it for a whole lot of hours with no issues, but I like the way mine fly's using 2.62:1

Posted

leni,what was ivos deal with the prop on 3.1 ?

Posted

Here is a update on this project .I got my 670 from rick with a c box and clutch. Rick was awesome to deal with and built me a wicked engine .I also streamlined every tube I could .I used the new 3 to 1 airfoiled covers from u fly it . I havent taken my wife up in it but have had my boy and full fuel and it had plenty of power . The clutch makes docking much easier.

post-574-0-73943100-1430139013_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-70888600-1430139061_thumb.jpg

Posted

Mike,

How is this engine acting?  There seemed to be some concerns about varied rpms with the 670....

EDMO

Posted

it seems to be as linear as the 582.i haven't noticed it being peaky.it runs incredibly smooth