Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First flight as a KC-10 Crewmember

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys! As many of you know I am an active duty Air Force Enlisted Aviator. From 99-05 I was a KC-135 Boom Operator. In 2005 the Airforce decided I needed to be a Flight Engineer and I ended up on C-5's. There's a pretty big difference between the Air Refueling and Airlift mission. I recently had the opportunity to become a KC-10 Flight Engineer. Yesterday I took my first familiarization flight as I start the next 8 months of training. I forgot how awesome it was refueling fighters over snow capped mountains so I thought I would share a few of the pics I grabbed yesterday.

1505554_10153474590354409_21595002296489

The KC-10 can be a tanker or a receiver. We helped out some of our brothers for some training while waiting for the next flight of F-15's to show up.

10922722_10153474589799409_9018211208321

Waiting for his gas

10442518_10153474590119409_6451870971864

They fly pretty tight off of us while waiting

1618500_10153474589714409_55525512220566

Ended the day with a spectacular sunset off the Oregon Coast

10438909_10153474590674409_1243393151390

I am super fortunate to be able to do this for a living.

4 people like this

Posted

Wow thats some pretty cool pictures,good luck up there

Posted

Way cool pics Joey, how different is your desk?

Posted

Wow.  That's awesome Joey!

First, and most importantly, THANK YOU! for your service it is so greatly appreciated.

Second those are some beautiful shots.  Anytime you want to show more, we'll take 'em!

Posted

Way cool pics Joey, how different is your desk?

Quite a bit smaller and simpler Doug. The KC-10 is a direct descendent of the commercial DC-10 and it's operated very similar. The C-5 had too much military involvement in it's development and as a result it was far more difficult to operate than it needs to be. I am super stoked about being back in the Air Refueling world. Hauling stuff from A to B is important but there's something about being right on the edge of the fight refueling fighters who are dropping ordinance on the bad guy that is more exciting for me.

Posted

Awesome pictures and thanks!

Posted

Thanks for the pics, Joey.  That's some awesome scenery to backdrop all that airpower.  You may have another career doing air to air photography once you retire.

Posted

Great pictures Joey!

Posted

Awesome and exciting photos Joey - Much Thanks to you and all of the folks who try to keep us safe.

EDMO

Posted

Those are great pictures.  After doing that does flying your Avid still excite you?

Posted

Thanks for sharing pictures. That's awesome. Congratulations on the move back to refueling. Looks like it will be a great job.

Posted

Wow I love it ,that has to be a thrill, nice work Joey

Posted

Glad to see you back in the air. Awesome!

Posted

Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming.  Flying a big-bird w/a coordinated, well trained crew as a well oiled machine gett'in it done as a team -- there's nothing like it in the world that compares is there?