Patrol

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

Sorry I have not been more attentive here; spare time's been eaten up going the scratch-build route on a bearhawk patrol (2-place).  But you guys still rock and you even have  a section for non-avid interests!  So here you go, for anyone who's interested.  I'll subscribe to this so hopefully if anyone chimes in I'll be able to respond!

Carry on...

Mark

Bearhawk Patrol

Posted

ahhhh, the bearhawk.. I bought plans when they first came out and started gathering parts and pieces and had big plans to build one... then life kicked my ass and I packed the plans away and forgot about them.  I would LOVE to see pics and a progress thread on this plane as you build it!  If I had not picked up the 180, I was determined to get those plans out again soon and start building the 4 place.  Now get busy and post up some pictures Mr!

:BC:

Posted

Hmmm, not sure why my post didn't show up on this. 

Looking good Mark, stay with it.  It was great to get to visit with you over a cup of coffe last month while I was down there in Hood River.

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh I know the rules Lenny, last thing I would want to do is keep you in suspense!  A link to some progress pics is right there, does it not show up?  Here it is again...

Bearhawk Patrol.  Hmmm, or maybe try this www.dropbox.com/sh/cflqslsihss8ehu/AAD_Xi6xEaFVQdYV1Ml5rxCqa?dl=0  As you can see, I just started, so if you want to see a progress thread you'll have to keep this site going for another 10-15 years.  You really wanna do that?? :siterocks:

That's cool you're contemplating the 4-place.  I'm doing a 2-place mostly because 90% those extra seats would be empty.  The patrols have some nice performance numbers (plus a 32" wide tandem cabin), but what I really like is the designer himself is a phone call away.

Hey Randy!  AWESOME as usual to see you here.  Coffee tastes better when you're in town.  Hope the rest of your trip went well.  Yup, I'll keep at it.  I just started on the short center ribs behind the fuel tank.  There's a false spar there that they butt up to.  Easy little things, but the hard part is getting my rivet spacing figured out (recall it's a metal skinned wing) so I can flute the flange.  There are only 4 of them, and they're much easier than the nose ribs!  Center ribs will be more involved.  I'm lucky to have an excellent mentor here in town, the same guy who practically built and restored everything in WAAAM.  Very generous with his time and sometimes he lends me something that he has 16 of, and then I give it back and he says "nah, merry Christmas".  "Tom! WTF I didn't come here to pilfer your shop!"  Next time you're here you gotta meet the guy.

Mark

Posted

Progress continues... making 260 little angles to stiffen the wing ribs.  Easy but pesky little buggers...

Found a couple interesting links below:

A cross between an avid and a bearhawk?

http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=324&t=22962

And there's one for sale!

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1022491_Montana+Coyote%2C+Mountain+Eagle.html

2 people like this

Posted

Keep at it Mark.  I was in HR at the last week of May but it was a work trip doing roof repairs on the place there.  Sorry I didn't have time to say hi.

Beautiful weather though, took this picture of Mt Hood from the front yard.

post-75-0-89803400-1434491408_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Randy, I bet I can triangulate that picture and find you next time! ;) Glad you made it out before the heat wave set in.

Still punching out ribs, about to start on the full size tip ribs and its off to something new!

Hope all's well with y'all.

Mark