Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Differences between Fat, Plus, Pursang, Airdale, and Magnum Fuses

4 posts in this topic

Posted

It's a safe bet that most of the answers to this question can be found in various pieces throughout this forum in past topics.  But it is laborious to sift through it all to find an accurate understanding of what the differences are.  Are Fat and Plus the same plane?  How does the Airdale differ from the Pursang?  Does anyone know what the dimensions are and if the Magnum wings will attach seamlessly to any/all of the mentioned fuses.  What I'm looking for is something with tri-gear, folding wing, and gross weight capability of the Magnum but with a more accessible/open cargo area.

Thanks, Dave.

(And no, Brett has not answered any of my emails... :dunno: )

Posted

You should be able to attach the Magnum wings to any Avid Model - But, putting them on another model does not give you the 1700 gw - The Magnum is a totally different, heavier-built, bird.

EDMO

Posted

Fat Avid and Avid Plus are just different names for the same bird, although some have been built from getting an Avid+ fusalage and using Avid MKIV wings and parts while others were complete Avid+ kits, so there may be some differences in the end product and possibly the resultant GW; this is probably "officially" about 1250 lb for most of these.  The Pursang I think was the early model of the Airdale but should be basically the same.  It is a bit different, having a bit of a belly for the lowered foot well and using aluminum spring gear.  The "official" GW for these was 1400 lb.  The Magnum is a bit more robust overall since it was designed for the Lycoming 0320 and has the 1700 lb GW as Ed says.  These are general numbers pulled off the top of my head and there are others on here who are the true keepers of all Avid specs (Doug) so if he says anything different, I defer to him.

Posted

Delta Romeo go to the Files and Forms forum. It's less than a page of threads and has loads of info including the complete history of Avids, all the different wing specs, along with lots of other technical data all compiled into one place.