Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mag check

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all I have a Kf 2 with a rotax582 when I check the mags the tach increases around 900-1000 rpm . This reading isn't accurate the rpm actually decreases as expected , the strange thing is this only happens on one mag . Any help would be great thanks J.

Posted

What kind of tach are you running? Grey wire needle tach? If you can hear an audible drop and it is within 150 rpm to your tuned ear you are good. We all recommend a $40 tiny tach to verify RPM.

Posted

My tach is hooked up to the gray wire.  I once was going to fly with the master switch turned off to do some testing.  When I did the mag check it did like yours...RPM increased about 1000 rpm with one mag switched off.  I turned the master switch on and it was back to normal.  These Rotax electrical systems are very sensitve to a loose or corroded ground too.  The ignition system can do some puzzling things like feeding back through other parts of the electrical components when there is a grounding problem.   I have never been able to figure out why mine did that with the master switch off though.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the replays we did check the tach with a tiny tach the rpm,s were correct .now we're going to clean the grounds and see where that takes us thanks again

Posted (edited)

This is an old post, but...  I was having problems getting my tach to read right in one switch position.  One side would drop to zero, but you could hear just a small rpm drop.  Brett Lawton at LEAF told me that the digital tachs don't like the tach signal from the stator, but to hook it instead to the yellow wires going to the voltage regulator.  I tried that, and it worked just fine!  I now have correct readings on both sides!

Also, if you have a TinyTach or similar tach that wraps around a plug wire, try wrapping it around two wires, coming from different CDI coils, and it will then read RPM in either switch position, rather than just one side.

o

Edited by Gerry Visel
Added TinyTach info