Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lexan turtledeck

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I have seen the plexiglass or lexan tinted turtledecks on Kitfoxes, does anyone make them for Avids, or  has anyone tried to make them from Big Box Store Plexiglass? I have heard conflicting stories about using what is available locally does anybody have experience? I had planned on using a hot wire and bending it to fit, I have also been told that it can be bent on a brake, but mine is only 40 inches and not long enough.

While on the topic, I planned to use .125 inch for the turtle deck, does the cabin roof need to be that thick or could I get away with less?

Posted

"Plexiglass" will not bend to make one of these, it will crack and break.  "Lexan" is bendable enough to break corners like this.

The newer Kitfoxes (4-SS) that have these use a different style flapperon hanger on the wings that flexes much less than the extended ribs tails of an Avid or early Kitfox.  The bearings on the horn end of the flapperons are critical on the Avid style flapperons to keep them rigid and free of flutter.  Therefore, retrofitting a newer style Kitfox model will not work.  The bearings need to be snug.

I think Joey has one on his Avid, but I don't know where he got it from or how it's configured.

Posted (edited)

If you are just wanting a rear window, you have a choice of bending Lexan or using aluminum sides and Lexan for the flat top.  Another option is to use Lexan for the top and sides and join them with aluminum angle.

Lexan can be bent over a form using heat lamps or a heat gun - I think about 265 to 275F is the max temperature.

The turtledeck is supposed to slip under the skylight, so you put the same thickness spacer as the Lexan turtledeck under the trailing edge of the skylight and a strip of aluminum under that.

EDMO

I like the light bronze for turtledeck and windows, and the dark for the skylight, but you can also get the light and dark green tints.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I've bent Lexan (polycarbonate) in our metal brake. Here's a video of a guy mending a piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNWqbAz6Lww

On our regular sized brake, you can bend 90 degrees in one bend. I was bending fairly thin stuff though. Probably about 1/16". Not sure how it would work on thicker material.

Posted

Yep, Lexan (or polycarbonate) sheet can easily be cold formed in a press brake. Plexiglass (or acrylic) sheet needs to be heated.before it will form.

Lexan is somewhat softer than plexiglass so it will scratch more easily. It can also be drilled without the tendency to crack like plexiglass.

Lexan is not resistant to gas and will craze if gas is spilled on it. I discovered that when I used it for a windshield on my pre-war Aeronca.

Posted

Here's an example of aluminum sides and a piece of .090 lexan.

Travis

post-379-0-99611300-1412451702_thumb.jpg

Posted

Very niiiiice.  I like it.

Posted (edited)

I Like the look of the aluminum sides, I will probably go that route, Thank You

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

Looks nice, but then I'd need to find a new place for my antennas. I'll stick with aluminum for now.

Mark

Posted

In my avid there is a antenna tab right at the lower end of the turttle deck opening, in the middle, I place my antenna there and I have no problem at all, even when I fold the wings...

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

Kitfox sells an antenna mount that goes just behind where the turtledeck ends.  I have one, but you could make your own.

EDMO

Posted

Mine was bent up using a break. You need a way to properly build the upper bearing into it for the flaperon linkage as well. I use a set of machine screws and washers on either side of where the rod comes out. Takes a few extra minutes to remove the turtle deck but I don't fold my wings so not a big deal.

Posted

What thickness of Plexiglass, or Lexan was yours made of ? I always knew that the upper bearing would have to be added, the turtle deck that I have does not have an upper bearing, I hope it was never flown without the bearing