Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Guy from Ontario, Canada

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone,

I came across this forum after I bought a Ridge Runner mod 2 and since it is descended from the Avid Fox airplanes and there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here, I thought I'd better join.

I'm a long time tail wheel pilot, grew up in England and had four airplanes so far. A Tipsy Nipper, a Belgian single seat VW powered aerobatic airplane, an American Yankee AA1 I owned for 10 years and a 1938 Aeronca Chief which I owned for around 23 years but regrettably sold a couple of years ago. I built the wings for a Steen Skybolt back in England and that airplane is now flying in the Austrian Alps.

I live in Southern Ontario and until recently, had a hangar at a local farm strip. The owner of the strip just died, his kids have sold the place and the new owner has no interest in continuing its use. My RR requires some repairs before it will fly again so I'm kind of stuck at the moment figuring what to do.

These guys are friends of mine at our local airport, http://www.tigerboys.com/

They have a large collection of flying vintage airplanes and are always acquiring and restoring more so it's an interesting place to hang out.

Posted

Welcome aboard :BC: the planes are pretty much kissing cousins so hopefully we can help you out. Pictures are encouraged as well as any flying tales, lies or minor fabrications :lol::BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

ABF - welcome and, rest assured, when it comes to helping out we will gladly do whatever it takes to confuse you thoroughly! I must say, that is quite an eclectic collection of vintage aircraft and my hats off to the Tiger Boys for keeping them flying for everyone's pleasure. Really like to see that Flying Flea Tri-Plane, Finch and TJ. If it wasn't such a P.I.T.A. to cross the border at Niagara Falls, I'd shoot up for a day trip to their Annual open house in a couple weeks for a biplane ride.

Posted

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'm lucky to have a bunch of guys like the Tiger Boys so close by. They've always been a big help to me. Their main interest is restoring vintage airplanes and early homebuilts.    Here are some shots of a recent open day. Hope this works. 

P1000928_zps688ef126.jpg

P1000936_zpsf13e42d1.jpg

P1020104_zps7a597260.jpg

P1010681_zpsaaf518ba.jpg

P1030144_zps3f002776.jpg

P1010638_zps34bcd635.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

ABF,

A late "Welcome Aboard" - Very interesting assortment of planes photos - My best design book was "Design of the Aeroplane" by Darrol Stinton, a test pilot and engineer in England.  Perhaps you know about him.

Regards,

EDMO