Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sky Raider 1

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I just picked up this Sky Raider 1 today. It has the 447 Rotax, radio, GPS, electric trim, EIS, two 5 gallon gas tanks and wheel ski's. The only thing I am not sure of is how to run the EIS system, radio and the GPS, I am used to looking out the window and just flying.

post-56-0-49135200-1410231509_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-52493800-1410231550_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

sweet!

Posted

Looks very nice.

I have a Ridge Runner Model 2, very similar to that, not flying right now as it's in need of some repairs.

Nice to see you got the proper wing supports with it, too. Mine got towed by the PO from Wisconsin  to S. Ontario without using any supports and I don't think that does them much good.

Posted

Nice plane, I would like to have one!!

this seems to me one of the easiest way to fly...

Posted

Very nice! :BC:

Pretty enough to catch a wandering eye, I hope the Avid love affair is still intact! 

Posted

Seeing this sitting forward on the trailer reminded me of something I had been wanting to ask about:

When you trailer an Avid / Kitfox with the wheels in the rear of the trailer wheels, as in photos I have seen, then the weight is mostly aft of the trailer axle - especially if you have a heavy engine like the Soob -

I have always been taught that you need to have some weight on the trailer hitch - wouldn't this be a problem with that setup?

EdMO

Posted

ABF  Do you have spar inserts in your wing? I have the factory super and it does not have any inserts just wondering if I need them.

Posted

ABF  Do you have spar inserts in your wing? I have the factory super and it does not have any inserts just wondering if I need them.

If you mean the steel reinforcing inside the spar where the pin goes through from the headrack tube, then yes.

What's a "factory super"?

Posted

I made the wing supports out of 1/2 conduit. I don't think there are spar supports in the wing. The Sky Raider is facing forward. I have had the Avid on the trailer backwards while on skis. It does take weight off of the hitch

but that little bit is not going to make any difference on my suburban. I just go with it and do not worry about it.

Posted

the super is a little bigger than the skyraider2 and has dual controls, the reinforcement I was talking about is in the spar about where the struts attach.

Posted

the super is a little bigger than the skyraider2 and has dual controls, the reinforcement I was talking about is in the spar about where the struts attach.

OK, so the Super is pretty much similar to a Ridge Runner Model 3S which also has dual controls. Incidentally, there's a complete new kit for one of those for sale on their site at a substantial discount. Not sure what's happening there.

I'll see if I can ascertain if my airplane has the spar reinforcement next time I'm up at the airstrip.

Bandit, maybe you can give some impressions of the Sky Raider when you've flown it a bit. Turns out My Ridge Runner was nose heavy when I bought it. I only got a few short flights totaling less than 1 hour before the engine quit and I found out (the hard way) what happens when you dead stick a nose heavy airplane.

Since the Skyraider 1 and the Ridge Runner 2 are basically the same airplane, the nose on yours look a lot shorter than mine which could be a reason (Mine has a 503 DCDI, electric start.)

Posted

Buyer beware at Ridge Runner.  All I have to say about that…  

Posted

Larry,

Was this the kit that was held together by about 1000 bolts and nuts instead of being welded?  Or, am I thinking of another?

EdMO

Posted

Impressive little flyers if you ask me. Keep it light and for a less than 50 mile hop around the farm it'll keep you grinning for days.

Posted

... the reinforcement I was talking about is in the spar about where the struts attach.

Hi Cropduster,

I had a look inside a spar and can't see anything other than the ends of the pop rivets that hold the strut attach bracket to the tube.

Posted

ABF  thank you for checking I mic,ed the wall thickness and it is .082 Kitfox is .065 I think.

Posted

After replacing the fuel lines, filters and exhaust bracket, I test flew my Sky Raider today. Wow, it sure is a nice airplane to fly. Lots of leg room and shoulder room. Great visibility over the nose. Add power, lift tail,pull back and you are flying. 5500 rpm, ias was 76 mph. Not sure what the ground speed was.