Material for making ribs ?

By Tree top pilot in Avidfoxflyers General Hangar,
Hey guys I have a new friend {Dan Tanner} that has found me and is seeking help with a basket case he bought. He picked up a Kitfoxlite2 that has been abused a lot and needs to build new wings. After talking a bit and looking at pix our wings are very similar. He wants to make a new ribs and wanted to know where to get the wood. Dan said the people at Kit fox had the ribs in stock at a premium.  After looking at my wings we couldn't figure out what kind of plywood was used to make my ribs. Marine ply?  They show 5 very distinct plys under the epoxy sealer. He said Mr. Kit fox told him that was not aircraft plywood as it needed to have 10 or 12 plys for 1/4" or it would not be strong enough. We looked at ACSpruce has the material - over $200 of wood just to get enough material. Is it worth it?  Dan has in-laws with CNC router tools to make the parts. We are wondering what else is out there...I told him to try Airdale but that didn't work. I told him to sign up here as there is a great bunch of guys and lots to learn.
  • 21 replies