Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aerocet 1100 amphib floats w/ Kitfox 3/4 rigging

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

...SOLD...SOLD...SOLD...SOLD...SOLD...

I'm seriously considering re-registering my 100hp Aerotrek as ELSA and making that my dedicated float plane. Unfortunately, the Aerotrek empty weight is simply too much for my Aerocet 1100 amphibs so I'll need larger floats. Therein lies the reason for this 'testing the waters post'.

The Background:

Aerocet 1100A composite amphib floats were offered as a genuine Skystar Aircraft factory option and produced by Stoddard-Hamilton (the Glastar composite aircraft manufacturer experts). They were priced over $10k new with rigging. The original owner of my set put less than 10 wet hrs on the floats then sold his KF4. Second owner immediately removed the floats and stuck them in his hangar. There they sat for several years, until I got word of them and eventually pried them away. I've owned them since 2007, stored under cover indoors.

The Details:

These floats are structurally sound with no damage history and remain as originally purchased from Skystar, never modified or painted.. As one would expect with only a few hours use, they are in excellent shape with no dings, dents, dock rash, cracks or any appreciable cosmetic scratches to the textured top or shiny white side gel coats. They have a few minor scratches and chips on the bottoms (I got them this way), an easy touch up if so inclined. I even have a can of gel coat that came with the floats, though I have no idea if shelf life has expired. The retractable main gear utilizes dual Matco hyd. brakes and the nose wheels retract into covered bays with full doors. Very clean floats aerodynamically, all gear and rudder control cables are routed internally to the floats or struts with no wheels or gear mechanisms hanging out in the wind. Each float has partitioned pump outs plus large quick access lockers for lots of gear storage or fuel containers. Try THAT with the little aluminum floats! I have all parts for KF 3/4 mounting - streamlined spreader and Z-struts, upper fitting blocks to fuse brackets, oem Bull wheel, Johnson bar for manual retract with push/pull rods, Teleflex and SS cables, brackets, turnbuckles, x-wire bracings, manual water rudder retract setup etc., plus all factory part and installation instruction manuals. Also includes a set of pneumatic nose wheels and pre-cut stainless steel main gear reinforcing plates (a common modification to beef up the gear) ready for welding.

The Disclaimer:

I bought these floats to put under my KF3 but bent the plane before I got them mounted. Therefore, I can offer no actual personal operating experience with them. The main and nose gear test cycle just fine, over center locks and all float mechanicals appear to be in good working order and tires have no age related checking or cracks last I looked. The only issue I am aware of is the thru-hull rubber bellows/bushing for the rudder cable has deteriorated and will need replacement. I believe it would take very little effort, time and additional expense to put these floats back into service.

The Pitch:

Absolutely perfect for a KF3 and Avid C or D model STOL or Heavy Hauler w/ 582, IMHO. Same plane w/ 912 = wet dream! Excellent choice for a KF4-1050 w/ 582 or KF4-1200 w/ 912ul. Lightweight KF4 w/ 912uls = wet dream w/ Jessica Alba in the right seat working the stick! If you want hard side amphib floats for your Avid/Kitfox and have done any research at all, you know it ain't a cheap or easy proposition. The pickin's are incredibly slim at best and buying new or moving up to the next displacement size floats will easily run you $15k-25k or more for composites with rigging. It is what it is, but my Aerocets will get you in the game for thou$ands less. AND, if you are or considering flying under a Sport Pilot Cert., these amphib floats meet the Light Sport Aircraft Final Ruling on repositionable landing gear for an aircraft intended for operation on water. If you have a KF3 or KF4-1050, I will include one new, unused Skystar fuselage brace (required) for free.

The Close:

If you are serious about owning these amphib floats, PM me for a chat before I put them on Barnstormers or the auction sites. Since I bought them, I've seen/heard of only (5) other sets for sale and NONE as nice. I can bring them to Oshkosh for no charge if you want to pick them up during AirVenture this year, would save $500+ in shipping.

Thanks for looking.

post-53-0-94704800-1402420669_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-94260800-1402420691_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-09120200-1402420744_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-85855800-1402421036.jpg

post-53-0-16700200-1402421088_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-10973700-1402421115.jpg

post-53-0-55848200-1402421187.jpg

post-53-0-43982400-1402421222.jpg

post-53-0-84132900-1402421247_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-12365700-1402421291_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

I would like to discuss these with you. Pm sent

Posted

Nice floats! But alas timing is not right for me even though I live on the water.

There may be issues with re-registering as ELSA. Thought I heard that the FAA was considering placing considerable limitations on re-registered aircraft. It's something I casually read recently, but didn't retain. I would look into it before jumping into the re-registration process.

Chris

Posted

If it is currently registered as an LSA, it can't be reregistered as an ELSA.

Mark

Posted

Hey all, you can read about my SLSA --> ELSA musings here: http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/1113-re-registering-slsa-to-elsa/

Long story short, my DAR has done this for other aircraft and explained what he needs to sign off on the registration change. Pretty painless process really. Figure I'll lose some resale value as an SLSA due to the damage history, even though it has been repaired according to the manufacturer's maintenance manual requirements for major repairs using new parts from the manufacturer. But hoping to offset or perhaps even gain some resale value due to the elimination of SLSA maintenance requirement costs. If I ever sell, someone will appreciate the big bucks spent to do the repairs properly and ability to do their own ongoing maintenance. I know I do!

Posted

Nice floats!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I really wish I had the opportunity to put them on my light weight KF3 w/ 582. I think that would have been a blast!

Posted

Isn't that the floats that Paul Seehafer uses n his magic Kitfox IV-1200?

Posted

Yes, they are exact same float. And here is a very informative post from Paul about his KF4-1200 on the Aerocet 1100 amphib floats:

I have been flying Avid Flyers and kitfoxes since the mid 80's, and
have accumulated a couple thousand hours of seaplane time in them,
with a wide variety of engines and airframes. So I hope I can help
you by sharing what I've learned in the past few decades.

Currently I am flying a Kitfox IV-1200 on aerocet amphibs. It is very
well equipped, and weighs 776 lbs on floats (650 on wheels). It is
powered by a 80 hp Rotax 912ul. (I would expect a 912 Mark IV Avid
to weigh about 30 lbs less than a Kitfox IV-1200 fwiw). That
combination makes an awesome seaplane, with performance similar to a
150 hp Supercub on straight floats. I can get off the water in 6
seconds solo, and 13-15 seconds dual. Climb rates are 1,000 fpm avg
solo, and 750 fpm avg dual. Top speed on floats is 124 mph (verified
numerous times with GPS and by flying next to other planes that
didn't believe me). Fuel burn averages 3.2 gph at 95-100 mph
(regular unleaded auto fuel- the 912ul is low compression so doesn't
need Hi octane fuel). At average fuel burn, I have a very safe 8.5
hour range. I do utilize an IVO 68" inflight adjustable 3 blade prop,
which after recent testing against a ground adjustable IVO proved a
30% reduction in takeoff time on the water, and 5-6 mph in top speed
(fwiw - a 72" three blade prop would provide even better seaplane
performance). But if I converted to either the Rotax 100 hp 912s or
the 115 hp 914 (which both weigh about the same as the 80 hp 912ul),
I would see significant improvements over my current numbers. Add
the IVO inflight to those engines and performance would be really
awesome! So I can tell you without doubt, the 912 Rotax works well on
these airplanes. Particularly when the airplane is operated as an
amphibious seaplane. In fact, I've seen a lot of various light sport
type airplanes with 912's converted to amphibs over the years. But
I've never seen one that didn't make for a good performing amphib
seaplane. I think that alone says a lot for using a 912 engine in
Light sport type aircraft like ours. We know it works.

Posted

Would this be a direct install on a avid that has had floats on it before?

I installed a 670 in my Avid mk-4 for this reason.

Thx Marvin

Posted

Would this be a direct install on a avid that has had floats on it before?

I installed a 670 in my Avid mk-4 for this reason.

Thx Marvin

I am pretty sure the forward mount for floats on a kf are 10" further forwards than on our avids. You can get the tubing from Carlson aircraft to make new front legs for around 100 bucks. Then they would work perfect.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

^^^ yep, what he said (thanks Leni) BUT, I believe the existing top fitting blocks from struts to fuselage for Kitfox should fit the Avid fuselage float fittings with very minor modification.

@Marvin - Next time at the airport I'll measure the distance between the float fittings on my KF4 for you. In the interim, I've attached a pic of an Avid on Aerocet 1100A's I snapped off the board at Airventure years ago. (NOTE: Folks, this ad is NOT current. Please DO NOT CALL the tel # - this ad is from MANY years ago!)

I've had several questions about installation of these floats. Attached are the install and parts manuals which should answer most questions.

Last, please be aware there is a Skystar Service Bulletin out on Aerocet 1100 floats regarding a Go/NoGo check of the swaged fittings on the cross brace cables. I attached that as well.

post-53-0-62543300-1402594029_thumb.jpg

Aerocet1100_float_install.pdf

Aerocet1100_amphib_float_install.pdf

Aerocet1100_assembly_dwg.pdf

AerocetSERVICE BULLETIN 41.pdf

Edited by dholly

Posted

Yes, the blocks will bolt right up to the fuse, just have to change the strut length.

Posted (edited)

Actually, I should have been more descriptive. I think Avid owners *might* need to add one thin washer to the top fitting blocks, as the fuse brackets on the KF models tend to be --ever so slightly-- wider. I recall Joey had to shave a hair off the KF bungee gear he bolted onto his Avid. Other than that, yep, pretty much a plug 'n play except for the front strut length. The existing front struts for the KF application are ~26" LOA, so I suspect an Avid owner could get away with having to purchase only one 6' length of streamlined strut material to mount these floats.

[edit] ...and new AN hardware of course.

:BC:

Edited by dholly

Posted

You've probably pawned these off by now, have you? If not, I'd be interested. Anyone else have a set of these for sale?

Posted

Sorry, recouping from a back injury and have not been on site for a couple months. I'll reply to your PM.

Posted (edited)

Sorry, recouping from a back injury and have not been on site for a couple months. I'll reply to your PM.

We've missed you and your library Doug.

Is this back injury from pushing so hard you break rudder pedals again?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Last Oct. I ruptured 3 discs. Spent 2 weeks in hospital and nearly 2 more months flat on my back in a drug induced stupor hoping to avoid surgery. Thank goodness for the pain meds, although that narcotic dependency withdrawal is a beotch! Just now starting to get around again with a semi-clear head but it's about all I can do physically to keep the wood stove stoked. Good thing we haven't had much snow so far, still need to get the plow on the tractor. I did drive for the first time this past weekend, retrieved some tools from the hanger and bought one of those little electric snow blowers. No shoveling for me!

Posted

Last Oct. I ruptured 3 discs. Spent 2 weeks in hospital and nearly 2 more months flat on my back in a drug induced stupor hoping to avoid surgery. Thank goodness for the pain meds, although that narcotic dependency withdrawal is a beotch! Just now starting to get around again with a semi-clear head but it's about all I can do physically to keep the wood stove stoked. Good thing we haven't had much snow so far, still need to get the plow on the tractor. I did drive for the first time this past weekend, retrieved some tools from the hanger and bought one of those little electric snow blowers. No shoveling for me!

Glad to hear from you again - I was watching all the big snows up your way and figured you couldn't get out of the igloo to dig out the satellite.   a friend of mine had part of a disc sticking out of his back and had the surgery and said it was easy, but I sure don't want to go thru that.

Hoping you recover soon,

EdMO

Posted

I was facing open spine surgery from the front but I dodged that bullet. Now it's just a matter of time for all the swelling to go away and the discs to re absorb. Still can't feel about 30% of my left leg but at least the pain is bearable, nothing a trip to Barbados and some righteous rum punch in a few weeks can't put in place!

1 person likes this

Posted

...SOLD...SOLD...SOLD...SOLD...SOLD.SOLD...SOLD...

Thank You!  :) 

Posted (edited)

^^^ yep, what he said (thanks Leni) BUT, I believe the existing top fitting blocks from struts to fuselage for Kitfox should fit the Avid fuselage float fittings with very minor modification.

@Marvin - Next time at the airport I'll measure the distance between the float fittings on my KF4 for you. In the interim, I've attached a pic of an Avid on Aerocet 1100A's I snapped off the board at Airventure years ago. (NOTE: Folks, this ad is NOT current. Please DO NOT CALL the tel # - this ad is from MANY years ago!)

I've had several questions about installation of these floats. Attached are the install and parts manuals which should answer most questions.

Last, please be aware there is a Skystar Service Bulletin out on Aerocet 1100 floats regarding a Go/NoGo check of the swaged fittings on the cross brace cables. I attached that as well.

post-53-0-62543300-1402594029_thumb.jpg

Aerocet1100_float_install.pdf

Aerocet1100_De télécharger s’il te sortir ça marché tantôt tantôt_float_install.pdf

Aerocet1100_assembly_dwg.pdf

AerocetSERVICE BULLETIN 41.pdf

Edited by Kitfox007