Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

912 Avid V speeds

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm wondering if some of you guys running the 912 can give me some V speeds. I had the first flight today and It flew awesome but I'd like to compare my speeds to others so I have an idea of what to expect. Today I took off and climbed to 2000 feet, throttled back to 4800 and was holding about 90 mph. I slowed it down to 60 mph and had no problem holding alt, at 55 I couldnt hold altitude and, at approx 500 fpm decent rate trying to maintain 50 I could feel the buffet. I didn't use flaps.

Travis

1 person likes this

Posted

YMMV: As a rule I use 60 mph in my Kitfox. This gives a good rate of climb with margins, and also as an approach speed it works well.

What wing do you have? I would be real surprised to see buffeting at 50 mph in an avid.

Posted

Congratulation on the first flight.  My first thought with buffeting at 50 MPH would be to wonder if your ASI is accurate.  A lot of them aren't.  I would expect the stall to be between 40 and 45 MPH actual speed.

Posted

This is an extended speed wing. As this was the first flight I didn't take it all the way to a stall so I could have a ways to go before it broke, maybe tomorrow. I'd just like an idea where others are at.

Travis

YMMV: As a rule I use 60 mph in my Kitfox. This gives a good rate of climb with margins, and also as an approach speed it works well.

What wing do you have? I would be real surprised to see buffeting at 50 mph in an avid.

Posted

Thanks Jim, As far as the ASI goes its a Dynon D60 and I dont have a static system, I'm just vented to the interior. Thats another reason for the question on speeds. I'm hoping it'll be good calm weather for tomorrows early AM flight so I can get some GPS speeds to compare.

Travis

Congratulation on the first flight.  My first thought with buffeting at 50 MPH would be to wonder if your ASI is accurate.  A lot of them aren't.  I would expect the stall to be between 40 and 45 MPH actual speed.

Posted (edited)

Congrats! I remember wondering/worrying if the custom long speed wing I built for my A+ would keep it under the 52mph clean stall max for light sport. I figured it would be pretty close based on what research I had done, sounds like we won that lottery!

My KF4 feels comfortable with a 60 approach and climb as well. Floats like a mofo above 55, sinks like a rock under 45, stalls at 35. At 4800 I indicate 95 on the ASI. Owner/builder log shows 220' takeoff and 120' landing rolls on his 1st flight, I got some weight to lose and practice to do before I see those numbers.

Edited by dholly

Posted

So the extended speed wing on this plane stops flying at an indicated 46 mph in a clean configuration and it was a full break, nose drop stall. Now I just need to train myself how to do this strange cross controling that needs to be done to stay cordinated while making a turn.

Travis

Posted

Lead with the rudder... It will become second nature soon. Calibrate your butt to feel what is strait and what is skidding or slipping. Then you don't have to fixate on the ball.

Posted

What is your CG?  That seems a little high on the stall speed compared to the one I flew.  DA has a lot to due with it too though.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

What is your CG?  That seems a little high on the stall speed compared to the one I flew.  DA has a lot to due with it too though.

:BC:

CG for the flight was about 13.2 and a DA 1500 at the surface. I was maintaining 3000' msl

On the plane you flew with the extended speed wing, did the builder also extend the flaperons? I decided against that and added an extension tube to the inboard side of the flaperon thus moving it 3 feet away from the fuse. With the amount of washout in the wing and setting the flaperon to the manual maybe I'm loosing some lift from the flaperon.

Edited by birddog486