Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Soob air oil seperator

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Ive  got  a few hours on my soob now but am having a problem with the oil blowing out of the small air filter I have on the valve cover. The other valve cover has the pvc valve in it. From researching it sounds like I need a air oil seperator ,just wondering what you other soob jockeys have for a breather set up, think were going to try and build a seperator but maybe there's another solution.

Posted

Is the grommet the type that is baffled or is it a straight shot to the filter,it may be just shooting oil on it as opposed to pressure build up pushing it out.Im not a Soob guy but Ive seen breather caps on our race car stuff that needed  to be baffled or you had a mess on your engine when you got back in the pits.Randy

Posted

Got to go check my soob - I don't think there is any thing on the one cover - it is sealed - the other has an extended filler neck on it.

EDMO

Posted

I have the same problem ,open to any ideas that's for sure.

Posted (edited)

I have to go get some stitches out tomorrow afternoon, but will go unwrap my Soob and take a good look - don't think any photos will help because it is painted all black - which I intend to change someday - try to give you a report by weekend or tomorrow night.  I have a spare stock Soob in my other shed, and will look at that too.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

On the Pursang both valve covers have a hose that runs up and into the air filter tube. Evidently this works well since there isn't really anywhere for the oil to go but get burned up through the intake. I actually doubt that is the case because the engine runs so smooth and doesn't smoke at all, not to mention the uphill by probably 10" to where they breath. I did have the filters off the other day when I changed over to K&N filters too, and didn't see any oil in the intake tubes. You do have me thinking about it now though. I suppose that since this airplane has 690 hours now it's proven well enough so I won't go messing with that aspect.

I'm interested to see what you figure out.

Posted

Pretty sure its pushing it straight threw the air filter,I have a hose clamp holding it on to the  valve cover outlet, I think originally it was routed back into the engine to get rid of by pass oils but I could be wrong.

Posted

after doing a little research there is better breathers available or I read just a cheap fuel filter inline .on mine one valve cover is filtered,other one goes to intake like lostmans ,not sure why their different

Posted

Thanks Ed and Ken for the info, my brothers a mechanic so I'm sure he'll fabricate something up,just checking to see what others were doing,I'll let you know what he figues out.  

Good luck on your trip,hope all goes well

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought all the EA=81 Soobs would be alike - maybe not?  We will have to compare photos and notes.

EDMO

Posted

I was going to rum little filters on the valve cover breathers but Mykal at Stratus said only do that if you want to have your engine/cowling covered with oil.  He plumbs the breather lines together to a TEE and into a carb intake elbow between the filter and the carb to suck it through and burn it, and no PCV.  It works well and the engine runs fine.

Posted

Thanks Randy and dynomike,I will see if I can plum it in the same way ,sounds better than the air oil seperator

Posted (edited)

I am wondering if the ones with the filter have something to do with the extra emissions stuff that California requires.  Off to see the Doctor - will try to get some photos of my Jap engine tomorrow.

I was going to suggest putting a pcv in the other valve cover and running it to a T in the other line, but seems like SuberAvid has the solution.

EDMO

Another possible fix might be to go to the junk yard and buy a cover for that side with no hole in it.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I failed to get any photos today of my Soob valve covers - I am not able right now to move things around and move the engines so I can get the photos.  Sorry - but sounds like Randy gave you the best fix for the oil problem anyway - and I will do the same if I ever have this problem.  Thanks.

EDMO

Posted

I ran mine like randys today then  flew 3 hrs on it and seems to be workin well

Posted

Thats great dynomike, I would like to do it that way as well but I am running a TBI with a filter directly on top with no were to plumb the line in so I am going to get my brother to fab up a air/oil seperator and attach to the fire wall,at least it should stop it from blowing all over

post-282-0-54533200-1394333067_thumb.jpg

Posted

Any of you soob guys know anything about ea71 pistons in ea81 to up compression? I read that this will work and no shaving the heads. The intake manifold will still fit right. Finally getting around to refreshing a spare ea81 I have. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

First I have heard of this - have you checked the books for bore and stroke comparisons?  I've heard of using VW pistons, and oversize too, but no personal knowledge - I have a Soob specs book if you need it looked up.

EDMO

what size and kind of TBI is that?  Cost? I have thought of trying one of the cheaper ones if I have any trouble with my Holly, which may never happen.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Same bore. Wrist pin position is different. I don't have an ea71 piston to compare. Hoping somebody has actually done it. Talked to Delta cam to get the 250 cam grind and the tech said I could shave .020 on the heads and the intake would still fit. Just thinking if the piston switch works it may be a better way to go.

Posted (edited)

when you take .040 off of heads, you insert a washer under the rocker supports to maintain pushrod length - I will have to go back and read about making intake fit.   There was a used Soob dealer and repair place in Anchorage, and I could go there in their scrap bin and get parts for about what the aluminum was worth - or free.   Got a place like that near you?

I read about making your own fiberglass intake and saving lots of weight.......There is a lighter alternator, and starter too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hi Ed , its a Rotec TB! -40  ,they are out of Austraila and it was around $650.00, it wasn't cheep but seems to be working well and I didn't have much room under the cowl.I didnt fly it with a regular carb so not sure of the performance differences but it got lots of good reviews

Posted

I don't know about the EA71 piston swap so no help there.  The first engine I built was a hydraulic motor and I had the heads milled, rebuilt  and the cam reground through Stratus.  He typically only builds the solid lifter motors but will get the parts and do the work on the hydraulic motors. I built the intake manifolds for that one out of mandrel bent tubing but they were for the Bing 64's and independent so no issues with the planed heads.  I actually like the positioning of the carbs on those manifolds better but the Stratus redrive places the starter in a different position and the manifolds would not work.

If you guys are looking a light alternator, use the one from a 1995 Suzuki Samari (the one in the picture).  They are about 6 lbs, 55 amp and about $150 rebuilt with lifetime warranty from ORieley's or such store.

post-75-0-48665600-1394513854.jpg

Posted

Thanks Randy,

I like those big isolation mount rubbers on the rads.  Can you measure the rads sometime and give me dimensions and include thickness and hose sizes?  I have a local builder here and will price them.  Also, how big are your inlets?

EDMO