Leading Edge Slats

By SuberAvid in Avidfoxflyers General Hangar,
I borrowed a slat panel that Randy Apling is making out of carbon fiber for the cubs and fabbed a mounting pattern for my Avid wing out of 1/8 plywood. I made it with 3 mounting positions so I could move the leading edge of the slat up and down.  Randy says the best spot on the cub is with the hook line where the convex top and concave bottom meet under the leading edge of the slat at 5.5" ahead of the leading edge of he wing and 3/8" above the bottom of the wing.  With the Avid undercamber wing I think it might need to have the height of the leading edge a little different so I made the mounting plate with the 3 holes so I could adjust it.  It looks like it fits pretty well but the large amount of washout in the Avid wing really shows.  With my new wings I plan to reduce the washout to 3/4" so It should lay on the wing a lot smoother.  The opening is limited to 3" with pins when mounted.   The last set of pictures is with it on a cub wing so you can see the comparison; not that much different.  I think it will work on the Avid wing OK.   OK, what do you guys think?  Am I crazy for thinking seriously about doing this?
  • 22 replies