Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New (old) 150 my youngest son I I picked up

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The Avid has been on the back burner since last spring when my middle son sold his house/shop. It's not stored in the back of my shed, waiting for more room, more time and yes, some warmer weather.

To make the room, my youngest son and I need to get our latest project in the air. With the 2 boys wanting their PPL and myself who needs to get in the air as much as possible, we've been looking out for a good trainer.

What we found was the 108th 150 ever made in the fall of 1958. The wings were already off and the plane was hauled and sitting about 30 miles from our house and the price was right.

Fuel system needed some cleaning up, needed a couple flap cables, radio was ancient (only 100 channels and did not work) and the interior could use a little attention.

We have all but the fuel tanks taken care of and the engine is running strong. Great compression.

Head liner was in good shape until we started taking it out the rest of the way to sew it back together where someone un-stitched it to get at the last flap cable pulleys. New head liner is here and is next to be installed.

Came across a Narco 12D radio and have it installed. Fortunately I have a very expensive antenna analyzer and decided to hook it up and check the nav and comm antennas. The comm antenna would have fried the new (uses) Narco and the BNC connector was fubar.

Engine baffling has been redone, interios plastic removed, cleaned and repainted and the carpeting has been replaced. Clean interior now. Paint job will have to remain as is till some future date/year.

Need to get this 150 back in the air this spring, then can get the Avid back out and into reproduction.

post-362-0-38099100-1390072774_thumb.jpg

post-362-0-43673000-1390072783_thumb.jpg

post-362-0-13896000-1390072792_thumb.jpg

post-362-0-15460000-1390072801_thumb.jpg

post-362-0-30675000-1390072805_thumb.jpg

post-362-0-88644700-1390072807_thumb.jpg

post-362-0-06324700-1390072810_thumb.jpg

Edited by C150L

Posted

Great project.  The straight tail manual flap 150s can actually be a pretty capable plane if your not going far and dont have to run full tanks. 

There shouldnt be any file size limits that you would reach unless your using a gazillion megapixel camera :lol:

I am digging the resto threads here and looking forwards to more pics!  Where did you get the headliner from?  I am still looking for a place to get the interior that is not stupid expensive.  I hate the thought of paying 2 grand for a few chunks of plastic.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Great project.  The straight tail manual flap 150s can actually be a pretty capable plane if your not going far and dont have to run full tanks. 

There shouldnt be any file size limits that you would reach unless your using a gazillion megapixel camera :lol:

I am digging the resto threads here and looking forwards to more pics!  Where did you get the headliner from?  I am still looking for a place to get the interior that is not stupid expensive.  I hate the thought of paying 2 grand for a few chunks of plastic.

:BC:

Headliner from Aircraft Spruce. About $110 but would have thought it would have cost much more than that.

The original headliner started ripping under it's own weight as we were removing it. Very brittle even though there was not a single tear in it when we started takine it out.

The plasic was all in good shape, just faded and stained. They cleaned and painted up nice and will look great when all are put back in.

Plane had not been annualed since 2001. Unsure when it ran last. After cleaning carb, lines, gascolator and hooking up a gas can to fuel lines, we tied it off to a pole in my shed, I had my boy strap in the left seat, give 2 shots of prime and give about 1/8" on the throttle. (First gave him shut down procedures if something went wrong.) 2nd flip of prop gave a caugh. 3rd flip, it started right up and purred. Idled down to about 650. Later with plane out side, found out you can not get much over 1100 rpm by feeding in gas from a gallon can sitting on the roof through a piece of 1/4" OD aquarium hose.

You didn't comment on that engine I uploaded PIC of which I was thinking we should put in the 150. (Just kidding.)

For 4.5 years I had a 72 C150 which I got my license in. After getting this one, I started reading on 150s. Sounds like the older straight tails perform considerably better than the later ones.

Always wishing I had more time/stuff to post on this site. Also wished I had more progress to post on our Avid project.

The pictures did not upload because if file size. There was a message about max file size. I think the camera is 10mp or so. The one or 2 pix that did upload I took with my old V3m razr. I resized the pics and they came right up. Wasn't paying attention to the size message or what I resized them to.

Edited by C150L

Posted (edited)

Anyone know of a Narco ID-824 (or maybe 825) laying around real cheap or trade for the Cessna/ARC indicator? The old ARC VOR indicator will not hook up to the Narco 12D radio.

Edited by C150L