Min battery 582

10 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the minimum battery requirements for the 582. I know what the books says, but I wonder if you could use lighter than 18ah? I would like to save some weight from the 18ah/15# battery.

Thanks

larrym

Posted

Hi Larry,

I'm using a 10 or 12 amp agm type battery. It has to have a battery tender on it in the winter or it has to be jumped. Summer time is fine. I think it's 10 lbs. I put it in the tail like yours, and I add 10 lbs , so ill go with the lawnmower battery and save my $ when this one dies. Bryce

Posted

I used the Odyssey PC625 battery which weighs 13lbs.  It is way overkill for the 582 but I wanted some reserve for electrical stuff and sure starts, etc.  The PC625 also is one of the cheaper models of this brand.  You could probably use the PC310 which is only 6lbs but I think its too pricey.

Posted

Thanks,

I'll keep the lighter one in mind if I can get away with it. Since Bryce and I think alike, and he needs the weight in the back, I now expect to need the weight. I had hoped that without the Grove gear, I could reduce some ballast.... oh well just switching gear saves almost 25#. (40 vs 15 for the bush gear). Still working on the brake pedal geomtry and seat.

larry

Posted (edited)

I know this is an old post but... My 532 Electric start does fine with an AMG Scorpion YT9A 130CCA 9AH. It weighs 8.3lbs.  I do live in Las Vegas though. I doubt it would be sufficient at or below freezing. I bought it mainly because it fit perfect in the battery box the airplane came with and the fact that it only cost $50

Edited by Groundclown

Posted (edited)

Walmart U-1 lawn tractor battery, $35-40, and it has lots of cranks for those cold mornings. 

Here's one on Ebay, less than 12 pounds, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raion-Power-12V-18AH-SLA-Battery-for-Swisher-24-HP-Kawasaki-Riding-Mower/223157761727?epid=13031287835&hash=item33f53d36bf:g:~scAAOSwXI1cVF9M

Edited by nlappos

Posted

I got sick of not being able to start in northern Illinois winter so I installed a 20 ah agm battery. Weighs 15.4 pounds but I'd rather lose the useful load and be able to start when I want to. Read somewhere that the 582 needs 300 rpm to start. At 10 reg F the old battery couldn't do it. The new one cranks over 500 rpm at that same temp and has plenty of reserve.

1 person likes this

Posted

Forgot to mention. The old battery was fine above about 40 reg F?

Posted

I just upgraded to lithium. Best choice I've ever made. Way lighter and cranks at insane speeds.

Posted

I just upgraded to lithium. Best choice I've ever made. Way lighter and cranks at insane speeds.

What lithium did you get? Does it include built in BMS or do you have to remove it periodically to balance the cells?