Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Man ejected from plane... and no it wasn't a fighter

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Holy CRAP!! Lots of questions to be answered on this one!!

BRADLEY COUNTY, TN. (WRCB) -- The search continues for a student pilot, who was ejected from a small plane without a parachute.

The missing pilot's instructor managed to land the single engine plane safely, after the aircraft went into a nose dive.

On the ground and in the air, the search continues for the pilot who authorities say fell some 2,500 feet from a two-seater plane.

"The people inside the plane were not wearing seat belts," EMA director, Troy Spence says. "So when they lost control of the plane, in an attempt to regain control of the plane, the passenger was ejected."

The co-pilot was taking lessons from a more-experienced pilot when the plane took a nose dive.

"Had some kind of malfunction with the plane and had a rapid decent," says Spence.

The instructor was able to gain control and safely land at the Collegedale Municipal Airport, about eight miles from where his co-pilot likely fell.

Now Bradley County search teams are focused on the area near Weatherly Switch Road.

"Due to GPS coordinates and pinging of the cell phone, this incident is in Bradley County," Collegedale officer Melvin Taylor says. "Those emergency personnel are on the ground looking for the party."

As the search continues, Channel 3 is learning more about the plane.

According to flight aware records, the Zodiac 601 belonged to 82-year-old Clarence Andrews, who built it.

Andrews died last December in a plane crash not far from the Collegedale airport.

His family sold the aircraft to the student pilot earlier this month.

Some more on it

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/30/tennessee-police-search-for-man-who-fell-from-plane/?test=latestnews

Posted

Think you should have posted this in the "Dumb Stunts" folder Joey!

I had just read where they found the body when I opened your post.

Cant believe any fool would fly without seat belts..........

ED in MO

Posted

Wow, that is a strange one.  Why were they not wearing seat belts and I thought those had a flip up canopy?  How did that get open?

Posted

Putting aside the stupidity of not wearing seat belts, and the probability that the PIC instructor will be sued, Does this canopy open from the front or rear?  Think they were stupid enough to get inverted?

AS JOEY SAYS, "Lots of questions here."

ED in MO

Posted

Putting aside the stupidity of not wearing seat belts, and the probability that the PIC instructor will be sued, Does this canopy open from the front or rear?  Think they were stupid enough to get inverted?

AS JOEY SAYS, "Lots of questions here."

ED in MO

Ed it opens from the rear....should of been a non event!

1 person likes this

Posted

Iv'e not considered NOT wearing a seat belt before, I'm a bit nervious about just using the original shoulder belt that came with my kit and am planing to change it to a four point. Should be interesting to see the findings of this incident.

Posted

Figured there was more to this story!

Posted (edited)

Truly a tragic event.

Edited by Av8r3400