fuselage stretch

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I just purchased a project Avid C, it’s basically a frame and few extra parts so this gives me the chance to make upgrades, improvements and mods. One mod I can’t seem to find much info is the fuselage stretch; I’ve performed searches but come up lacking enough info to feel comfortable with doing this mod. What is the best approach, when adding lengths of tubing, larger tubing size to slide over existing tubes or insert rod inside and keep tubing same size? And the subject of welding, gas torch or wire feed machine? Your opinion and sharing of knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Bowfish congrats on your new project. I started with about the same thing you have and this place has been a gold mine of info hope I can pass along half the amount of help that I have received here. welcome to the forums.

As for your question I would refer to AC43 13 you should be able to reference it here http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/99861 take some time to get familiar with it. TIG would probably be the best way to weld it but most people would probably just use MIG thats how they were welded in the first place. Good luck

-Robert-

p.s. why do you want to stretch it? this is mainly done to allow heavy FWF if you are staying with 582? you should be ok. I decided not to stretch mine and instead added bigger elevator and rudder this added back weight to counter balance it as well as giving more control surface. I also added a dorsal fin and larger tail wheel to add improved control and rear weight. all of my welding has been with a torch. but if I had a MIG I would have probably just used that. Just a thought of course if you want a Sube or 912 the stretch would be best.

Edited by High Country
1 person likes this

Posted

I just purchased a project Avid C, it’s basically a frame and few extra parts so this gives me the chance to make upgrades, improvements and mods. One mod I can’t seem to find much info is the fuselage stretch; I’ve performed searches but come up lacking enough info to feel comfortable with doing this mod. What is the best approach, when adding lengths of tubing, larger tubing size to slide over existing tubes or insert rod inside and keep tubing same size? And the subject of welding, gas torch or wire feed machine? Your opinion and sharing of knowledge is greatly appreciated.

The best way to accomplish this would be to get together with Brett at Airdale. He has a jig to accomplish this while keeping the alignment correct. This mod is usually done with MIG welding (the same as the original manufacture).

Posted

Even a 582 powered plane would benifit from a stretch. I have 8# on the tail spring of mine to get the CG in the middle of the range. With the stretch, you can also put in a larger extended baggage for those long items like rifles, fishing poles etc. The only problem there is getting them through the door and around the corner! Been there done that.

BC.gif

Posted

Your finished fabric will lay better and look better if you use the same size tubes.

However, my forward tubes are larger than the original, and I can live with the mismatch because I wanted more strength in the landing gear area - mine is not stretched, just was damaged.

ED in MO

Posted

I plan to use a C-85 so I need the stretch for CG purposes and want the added handling benefits. I have the equipment for gas and MIG welding.

Posted (edited)

I plan to use a C-85 so I need the stretch for CG purposes and want the added handling benefits. I have the equipment for gas and MIG welding.

Suggest you make a temporary jig to fit your fuselage bottom longerons - either metal or 2x4s and plywood - but make it so it stretches out but stays in alignment for the amount of stretch you are using.

I am not stretching mine for the EA-81 Soob, but extended leading edges 4 inches, and added a LOT of TAIL.

So, I guess I have stretched mine by about 10 inches. But its a nose dragger.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

When you cut your longerons - Someone was asking some time ago "what wall thickness?" - I think it will be .035, but interested builders might like to read your info on it.

ED in MO

Posted

The best way to accomplish this would be to get together with Brett at Airdale. He has a jig to accomplish this while keeping the alignment correct. This mod is usually done with MIG welding (the same as the original manufacture).

I know this is an old post, and Airedale is no longer a thing, but is "Brett" on this forum somewhere? I am looking for some advice and heard he was a pretty crafty guy.

Posted

Brett has never been very active on this site.  I think he may have posted a few times when he first bought Avid 10 years ago, but nothing since that I'm aware of.   JImChuk

Posted

To the best of my knowledge, Brett is no longer doing anything with Airdale Sportplane & Supply.

He has taken a job at his local airport as a caretaker.

Posted

I'm sorry but why would someone own something and just throw it in the trash.  I'm not talking about letting a car or plane sit and say "someday" but own the rights to a Beatles album and press zero records all the while people are begging for more pressings while you empty trash cans at a studio.  It's just so Syd Barrett.  Why is this bloke so down?  I mean kitfox is exploding right now.  Avid is the original kitfox.  The story of it all is worth so much and avid seems to have dibs on this story.  I would give anything to understand an airplane like Murphy or Brett or any of these guys who dream, plan, design, build and foster.  It's almost as if it's a living thing with an entire ecosystem and culture surrounding it.  I'd give my life to Avids if I owned it.  I'd wake up every morning and weld and build, understand and grow and fly.  Then once I was sure, I'd work on making it better.  All the while, barley keeping the lights on making service parts.  There's a whole fan club just waiting to give you their money.  It could be so easy to make a successful venture and move it to the next level.  Can a sidexside be as good as a cub?  I'd sure love to know the answer. Could an avid kit sell for 15 grand and still be safe and profitable? Bang out 25 model D units and see where it takes you.  Then move to the next idea.  Get a killer social media buzz going.  Shit there's a total of 17 Avid videos on all of youtube the the only one where a person speaks about the airplane is the raven set.  Shit I'll make the damn videos.  There's more Murphy Rebel vids than Avid features.  I mean bring it all back around the the working guys who want to fly.   Maybe I'm out of line here but I made my bones on the old Pirate4x4 board where we would talk shit and burn down 100's of pages of threads.  Once again I'm sorry for the rant but men are clocking a short few years until they can't fly anymore.  Every day something sits is another day someone's dream dies.  This old man theme seems to be a common thread among aviation.  Old timers on the homebuilt forum trying to sell their bi plane passions and the rich guys on the other cub and fox forums talking about a $35,000 dollar upgrade here and there.  Where does a 27 to 50 year old guy making $40k to 70k per year go to find his fix.  We have skills and know how to make it happen but not much money.  We are still healthy enough to go out into a cold shop and build a fire in the buck stove and put some music on and build.  Here on the avid forum is where I find myself.  The seeming sweet spot for those who can but can't afford to be on those other boards.  This also provides a chance for younger people to get into aviation and we are missing out.  I wish someone had shown me an avid when I was 27 years old and spending 1000's of dollars on jeeps, motorcycles and chasing futureless broads with tight shirts and tattoos. Each day that passes I get closer to being that sick old man with a warehouse full of potential that never saw any wind under it's wings.  Today I fought with my lady about bringing home a super rare ford 1.7L V4 engine which powered the Saab Sonnet and was in skid steers and snow cats in the US.  She asked, "when does it end?" I said never.  It's 50 bucks from my buddy from work for fucks sake. I will forever want, buy and foster these special gas and oil icons and do my very best to make them better than when I found them and make sure when I am gone someone has the light to see their own dreams become reality.  Give me Avid, an Avid or an idea of Avid and I will make it fly.  Not one 69 Camaro was harmed in the making of this post. 

3 people like this

Posted

I'm sorry but why would someone own something and just throw it in the trash.  I'm not talking about letting a car or plane sit and say "someday" but own the rights to a Beatles album and press zero records all the while people are begging for more pressings while you empty trash cans at a studio.  It's just so Syd Barrett.  Why is this bloke so down?  I mean kitfox is exploding right now.  Avid is the original kitfox.  The story of it all is worth so much and avid seems to have dibs on this story.  I would give anything to understand an airplane like Murphy or Brett or any of these guys who dream, plan, design, build and foster.  It's almost as if it's a living thing with an entire ecosystem and culture surrounding it.  I'd give my life to Avids if I owned it.  I'd wake up every morning and weld and build, understand and grow and fly.  Then once I was sure, I'd work on making it better.  All the while, barley keeping the lights on making service parts.  There's a whole fan club just waiting to give you their money.  It could be so easy to make a successful venture and move it to the next level.  Can a sidexside be as good as a cub?  I'd sure love to know the answer. Could an avid kit sell for 15 grand and still be safe and profitable? Bang out 25 model D units and see where it takes you.  Then move to the next idea.  Get a killer social media buzz going.  Shit there's a total of 17 Avid videos on all of youtube the the only one where a person speaks about the airplane is the raven set.  Shit I'll make the damn videos.  There's more Murphy Rebel vids than Avid features.  I mean bring it all back around the the working guys who want to fly.   Maybe I'm out of line here but I made my bones on the old Pirate4x4 board where we would talk shit and burn down 100's of pages of threads.  Once again I'm sorry for the rant but men are clocking a short few years until they can't fly anymore.  Every day something sits is another day someone's dream dies.  This old man theme seems to be a common thread among aviation.  Old timers on the homebuilt forum trying to sell their bi plane passions and the rich guys on the other cub and fox forums talking about a $35,000 dollar upgrade here and there.  Where does a 27 to 50 year old guy making $40k to 70k per year go to find his fix.  We have skills and know how to make it happen but not much money.  We are still healthy enough to go out into a cold shop and build a fire in the buck stove and put some music on and build.  Here on the avid forum is where I find myself.  The seeming sweet spot for those who can but can't afford to be on those other boards.  This also provides a chance for younger people to get into aviation and we are missing out.  I wish someone had shown me an avid when I was 27 years old and spending 1000's of dollars on jeeps, motorcycles and chasing futureless broads with tight shirts and tattoos. Each day that passes I get closer to being that sick old man with a warehouse full of potential that never saw any wind under it's wings.  Today I fought with my lady about bringing home a super rare ford 1.7L V4 engine which powered the Saab Sonnet and was in skid steers and snow cats in the US.  She asked, "when does it end?" I said never.  It's 50 bucks from my buddy from work for fucks sake. I will forever want, buy and foster these special gas and oil icons and do my very best to make them better than when I found them and make sure when I am gone someone has the light to see their own dreams become reality.  Give me Avid, an Avid or an idea of Avid and I will make it fly.  Not one 69 Camaro was harmed in the making of this post. 

you just greatly enhanced my appreciation for my new purchase (Avid MKIV). Thanks for your write up. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Spot on.  I'm 63, got my PPL three weeks ago, and should have my Kitfox II flying in the spring.  I'm hoping for 10+ years of flying but, at my age, I know how fast 10 years goes by.

2 people like this