Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AVID Heavy Hauler

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I am an Alaska resident and new to the forum and have transitioned from a quicksilver mx to an AVID Heavy Hauler.

Can someone give me a brief run down on this plane i.e. its flight characteristics, etc. Does this plane require annual inspections? I am getting certified sport pilot and then working on the certificate of air worthiness.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

Welcome to the site...most thought it was a good buy

A lot of us saw the plane on craigslist and everyone had commented on the metalized wings

Do you know how long the 582 has been setting?

There are others in Anchorage that can help with project, you are in Anchorage??

Are the whole wings metal or just the leading edge?

The underside of the wing is "undercambered" for greater STOL preformance.

Posted

Welcome to the site...most thought it was a good buy

A lot of us saw the plane on craigslist and everyone had commented on the metalized wings

Do you know how long the 582 has been setting?

There are others in Anchorage that can help with project, you are in Anchorage??

Are the whole wings metal or just the leading edge?

The underside of the wing is "undercambered" for greater STOL preformance.

The 582 has sat for 15 years with being fogged every year and hand rotated. No sign of corrision with the naked eye and none of the hoses show any sign of dry rot. That being said, it would be easy enough to crack it open and replace all the internal and external seals. The front leading edge of the wings are the only areas that are metalized. I live in Wasilla. I haft to admit that I am somewhat stumped on the electrical but I will probably be able to figure it out after research. Any input on that issue would be very helpful. The attached picture shows the strip for tying in electrical. This is where I am lost. I am assuming its like wiring a house. The main hot comes in and then all the accessories tie to the strip. The ground is tied to the frame. Also attached a picture of the engine. Looks good on the outside. I hope it is on the inside.

Thanks

Jeff

post-526-13493308546326_thumb.jpg

post-526-1349330896642_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi Jeff,

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new Avid. As you probbly already know, you will need to get the plane registered with the FAA and to do that you need to have all the building logs and pictures from the previous build history of your plane; and you will need the bill of sale for the kit from Avid Aircraft. Be sure you get these with the aircraft. With those critical items and everything else, you got a great deal. I fact, you got the ultimate quick build kit.

I live out in the Valley near Palmer and have my plane at Wolf Lake Airport. Let me know if you are in this area and we get together and talk Avids. Ther are several Avid and KitFox builder/flyers in AK on this forum so I am sure you will likely be near one of us. Also, if you are in the Anchorage area, you should join the EAA chapter 42 so you have additional knowledgeable builders and experts to tap into. A couple of us on here (JackAk and myself) belong to the chapter and we need more Avid/KF builders to compete with all the RV builders.

It will be great to have more local Avid/KF flyers to fly with.

To answere some of your questions, the recent post in the General Hangar section of this forum that Twister started talks alot about the flying characteristics of these planes. As far as the Annual; it is called a Condition Inspection for experimental airplanes. If you are the original builder you can get the Repairman Certificate from the FAA to do your own condition inspections. This may not be possible for you due to the advanced state of completion of your plane. If that is the case, you can still do all the work you want to on your airplane with the exception of the annual condition inspection which you will have to get an A&P to do.

Randy