Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

N139AH

75 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Robert,

Somehow I missed your build thread. I really like your plane. It's very similar to what I want to do. Keep things simple. The panel looks good. Cool idea adding the little Avid logo. I'll probably go without any rear upper and side windows as well. Build quality and finish look great too.

Luke D.

Posted

I really like your Piper style landing gear - Hope it works good for you.

EdMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice work! Love the clean simple panel.

Posted

WOW! man looking very good!!!

Posted

Thanks guys, I gotta say if it weren't for many of you I would have been flying a year ago :lmao: but due to you're suggestions and other things I've read here I've decided to make so many changes that we're still building. but we are going to be much happier with the final product and I can say for sure we will have a one of a kind bird and possibly one of the nicest model b-c avids in the air. other than the cowl (and were already working on changing that) everything has been upgraded to Mk IV or better. many of the changes include custom heavy hauler speed wing with dual 14 gal wing tanks, Mk IV rudder and elevator with electric trim, dorsal fin and misc gussets added to fuse, fat avid style flapperon controls located under the left seat opening up the entire aft cargo area, modified ridge runner wide bungee gear sits 10" wider than Bretts gear with cross tube on cabane to add structural integrity to the fuse, Nanco 21x12x8 tires, Matco 8" wide single arm tailwheel mounted on two leaf spring, Matco hydraulic brakes with pkg brake valve, carbon fiber instrument panel, basic but full. probably something else that I'm not thinking of right now. over all we are very happy with the results and can't wait to be in the air.

Posted

:news: This is an enormously outstanding build. Thanks for taking the time to post.  Well done gents :BC:

Posted (edited)

We got the brakes and tires mounted up last night! really happy with the stance it has now. My wife did say "those tires look small with that gear" I heard " lets get bigger tires" :lmao: but the budget says no. I'm going to start taking the porch apart tomorrow to get it off :bugeyes: . will have the tail and wings on by Saturday and its headed for the airport Sunday afternoon to be completed there. I asked my wife for a picture to see the relative height and Scout thought he should be in there to. post-352-0-36580600-1400680108_thumb.jpg

-Robert-

[edit] the new gear sits 72 1/2" inside to inside and 8' outside. I don't think its quite as high as Bretts though but should be good for my wife to learn ground handling with. at least she can almost see over the cowl.

Edited by High Country

Posted

Robert,

You definitely need bigger tires - It isn't as tall as a Storch yet! - Looks good tho - and the porch building is a story in itself.

EDMO

Posted

that´s a Beautiful--cough---cough--- Avid Flyer!! 

why would you go with bigger tires? just for the look or are you afraid you won´t have anything else to build??? still good job with the plane, I´m impressed, good that you choose to wait for a year!! this cowling doesn´t look as bad as long as you remove that cheek on the right hand (harrier air intake) side of it look good, Joey is still flying with same cowling, very distinctive of avid, unfortunately mine came with a "modified stone heavy cowling"

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

wings and tail are now on. getting ready to relocate to the airport on Thursday. talked with my DAR over the weekend and hoping to have it inspected the middle of June hoping for the 16th

post-352-0-89859800-1401203107_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Looking good…   :bday:

Posted

Robert,

It really looks good on the trailer - Hope you don't have far to go without folding the wings!

Have you decided on a name for it yet?  If not, it reminds me of the little yellow bird that Sylvester the cat was always chasing:  "Tweety Bird"?

EdMO

Posted

Somehow I'm doubting that he has even thought about trailering it with the wings out, it's only for a photo... I am not sure if you increased the wall thickness or the diameter of the struts, but not having them faired will cost you more in climb than speed. It cost me around 200-250 fpm. The plane is looking great and I'm ready to see the first flight report!

:BC:

Posted

Pretty hard not to like the looks of this aircraft! Should be a fun bird to fly.

Posted

Ed: I will be transporting it with the wings closed. I live less than 1 mile from the airport so don't have to go far.

Leni: I currently have the 3/4" struts so I'm not to worried about faring them just want to get in the air at this point. I planning to replace them soon with the bigger struts and will fair them then.

1 person likes this

Posted

What a beautiful build!

Posted (edited)

Robert,

I figured that the wings out was just for the photo - it really looks good.

Leni,

I am sure that you know about the decrease in climb without fairing the struts - But, I keep looking at all the drag from the gear struts, right behind the prop blast, and wonder if that would even make more difference if faired.

BTW:   I have photos somewhere of an Ercoupe that had fairings behind the wheels - like the rear half of wheelpants, but without all the headaches of wheelpants - and he got about a 10 mph increase in cruise from that.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Fairing the gear struts and all other round tubes is on my bucket list, just have not gotten around to it yet.  A little bit of .020 or less aluminum would make for a quick test of the speed and climb increase in fairing the gear legs.. I dont think spats for the 30" are gonna look right :lol:  I lost damn near 500 FPM by putting on the 30", but they sure roll nice over those big rocks!

Posted (edited)

Leni - Most people don't attach Goodyear Blimps to their landing gear - But sooo nice if you need them!

Agree - fairings on those would be like huge weather vanes...

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

That is a nice looking bird!  I think you will REALLY be glad you converted it to the Avid+ type of flaperon controls.  It will give you tons more useable cargo area.  Be sure you check and confirm the controls are connected correctly and not reversed.  It would be very easy to do that with the push pull cables and seems like the logical way to route and connect them on the inside.

What wing do you have on it?

Glad to hear you live within a mile of the airport; that is the best!  You will get a lot of flying in that way.

Posted

Randy thanks for the heads up I have made sure that the cables are going to the correct side. that sure could  make for a bad day in a hurry if they were backwards. I have a hybrid HH Speedwing. Its built to all the heavy hauler specs including 12' .083 spars 12" rib spacing but I used speed wing ribs from #5 out. #1 and #4 are both the transitional root ribs and 2-3 were omitted to make room for the heavy hauler fuel tanks then it just has false rib cap strips to make the bottom of the fuel tanks flat to match the rest of the wing. its sitting down at KMAN about 1.5 hr drive from me at the moment until the inspection and 40hr fly off before I can bring it home (can't fly over the mtns for the first 40) still hoping to be flying this month. :)

Posted

dang, not being able to fly it home sucks.  When one of the guys up here got his AW inspection, he talked them into a 25 hr phase I and a 75 mile radius so we could fly it out to the lodge etc.  how far in a straight line are you from the airport? 

Posted

I'm well within the legal distance problem is they don't want me flying over the mountains. I should be able to do the fly off in about two weeks

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a hybrid HH Speedwing. Its built to all the heavy hauler specs including 12' .083 spars 12" rib spacing but I used speed wing ribs from #5 out. #1 and #4 are both the transitional root ribs and 2-3 were omitted to make room for the heavy hauler fuel tanks then it just has false rib cap strips to make the bottom of the fuel tanks flat to match the rest of the wing. :)

As you know, that is exactly how I built my A+ wings. Man, I am soooo looking forward to your Pireps on this!

1 person likes this

Posted

One step forward and two steps backwards. guess that's how it goes sometimes. I made my first engine start and taxi this past weekend all was great up until my earth x battery had a major meltdown. once I get that all fixed I will be pretty close to having the DAR come out and take a look

post-352-0-74192900-1406128259_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-49540500-1406128222_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-76278200-1406128304_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-71965200-1406128345_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-60417200-1406128384_thumb.jpg

2 people like this