Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

pull starter vs electric start questions

10 posts in this topic

Posted

have a question : I'm finishing a build up on a Mk iV has a 582 with a pull starter on it ; and the A&P I'm working with asked why I didn't go to an electric starter. Anyone have comments either way? Is pull starting this engine all that difficult normally .....or ?

Any "issues" or problems with either system...parts breaking , gears, bad recoil ...etc??

Finally...I see ads for a GPL electric starter for the Rotax engines...is this starter set up differently (ads say "compact...only 3" deep")than the standard Rotax starter (refered to as a 6 O'clock mounted starter and needs the fire wall to be relieved) ...

any comments/ info would be appreciated

Thanks

Posted

They pull start great. If you've already built your firewall and have the engine mounted I wouldn't bother it's just extra weight. Just be sure to route the rope where you can get a good manly pull on it. You need to a good hearty yank to get the Ducati ignition to spark. My airplane didn't have an electrical system when it had the 532 on it back in the day.

Posted

I bought a GPL starter for mine because with the clutch, I wanted a way to start it if the batter went dead or the starter went out. The GPL starter wont work unless you cut and modify the engine mount! So I had a $600 paper weight in the garage till my kid threw a big party and that starter along with about $3000 worth of other stuff grew legs and walked out of the house...

Are you in a cold climate? If not, then save the weight and go pull start. If you are, she can be a bit of a bugger to rip over fast enough to fire the ignition if your sitting inside the plane.

BC.gif

Posted

In the winter time when it gets around - 15c or -20C my battery doesn't seem to have enough juice to crank over the 582 fast enough so I just hand prop it,it starts fast. Just make sure its tied down.

Posted

i ask myself too, but as i saw how start the kite pilots, sit in the plane may be very hard to pull with large body mouvement.

may be rope sart is more easy if you stand outside next to the door :rolleyes:

Posted

Thanks for the feed back !! sticking with the rope pull at the moment .

C5E I'm well beyond the firewall and really don't want to back up that far into the process...like the "good hearty yank" comment; time to get the free weights out !!

AKFlyer- thanks I needed that...another paper weight I don't need !!!I'm in a semi warm..coastal NC so in or out not an issue normally .

Thanks

Posted

There used to be a guy on the matronics kitfox list that had no electric starter, just a rope pull starter on his kitfox. He had the gear box clutch too. The rope starter handle was routed out the left side of the coweling. He had to start it standing outside the plane. If he was held up wating for his turn too long at the runway he would shut it off. When his turn came he would get out and pull the rope.

I have a 503 in my Classic four kitfox. With only 52 HP my rate of climb is very sensitive to weight am always considering removing the electric starter and battery and installing a rope pull.

If your inspector asks why no electric starter tell them light weight is important with these planes.

Posted

Never one to miss an opportunity... see post in the Classifieds for a new Rotax Recoil Starter. :beerchug:

Posted

Snowmachines are very easy to rope start.

In a airplane with a prop, rope starting is doeable but not as easy.

If I had rope start only I would wish for a clutch.

The clutch adds 3-4 pounds and makes elecric starting much easier

Posted

I've been roping starting mine and its been going good even just below freezing. I make sure the ignition is off and turn the prop over by hand a dozen times to loosen up the gear box oil though. Turning it over by hand first seems to loosen things up and it starts reliably plus lets you hear if anything is making any weird noises under the hood. The ignition might take a good pull to light the fires but its a great and reliable ignition when running. Its taking some getting used to but so far i'm warming up to this two stroke. I still don't trust it as far as I can throw it but at least i'm confident that myself and the Avid will be fine if it ever quits.